Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Snow chains

Old 08-06-2008, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow chains

We're in the depths of Winter here, with the best snows in years. Legally, we have to carry snow chains in the alpine areas but its very rare to be required to fit them on any 4WDs. You Northern Statesiders and Canucks must see a truckload more snow than us...do any of you ever have to fit chains to your JKs? Do they even fit the stock tyres (255/75 R17 or 265/70 R17)?

Last edited by WranglerDan; 08-06-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Canuck here.

Never used chains on a 4x4 period. I run high end winter tires while it snows, and AT in the summer..
Old 08-06-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Same here. I lived about 2hrs south of the territories and we never used chains, as long as the tires were alright. My old car was a whole different story. I haven't seen a person actually running with chains for years.

Most regulations or sign postings I've seen state to carry 'good winter tires OR chains' beyond a certain point when in potentially nasty areas.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

I've driven in over 20 inches (.5 m) of snow and I've never used chains.

Do JKs really come with 26" tires in Australia? The standard tire size on Rubicon models in the States is 255/75R17.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live in the mountains and I keep a set in the trunk in case the cops stop me. Never needed them, and actually, they don't even fit.

I once was stuck behind a car sliding all over the place up a steep grade. The cop had decided to stop everyone for saftey sake and make them put on chains, he took one look at my jeep and waved me on through, drove up that icy steep hill withoug a hitch. i don't think you will ever need them, and if you do need them in a jeep, is time to turn around and go the other way.

Last edited by w.wood jeepster; 08-06-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryno
I've driven in over 20 inches (.5 m) of snow and I've never used chains.

Do JKs really come with 26" tires in Australia? The standard tire size on Rubicon models in the States is 255/75R17.
Oops, re-edited that to read correctly. I agree that with decent tyres, a JK in 4WD isn't likely to need chains actually fitted. We don't have snow-specific tyres readily available over here. Those that are are exorbitently expensive and might get used three months of the year at best. As I stated it's a legal requirement. I might go along the lines of chucking any old set in the back and risking not getting pined. I reckon most authorities wouldn't bat an eye if a safely-driven 4x4 cruised past them without chains.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi! I put the chains on my JK during an ice storm this past winter. Didn't even need to put the Jeep into 4WD. Before anyone spanks me for going out on the roads during an ice storm... I'm a veteran firefighter (40 + years) and needed to respond to a couple of MVA's, motorist assists, and elderly / homebound health and welfare checks during the weather event. I highly recommend getting, and practice putting on, a GOOD set of chains. Just don't deliberately go out in the "nasties" if you don't need to! (I'd rather sit home and drink hot chocolate myself if I had the choice!) Take care... Mike
Old 08-06-2008, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Where are you at?....
Old 08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Melbourne, Australia.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

After driving in Canada for years with all season tires on a rear wheel drive pickup with no extra weight. I have to say experience is king. I'm sure that chains would help some people, but realistically those people probably shouldn't be on the road.

Last May I was driving up a mountain in France and I saw a big sign that had flashing blue lights that stated tire chains were needed beyond that point. I figured that I couldn't correctly read the sign, I got my car in Switzerland, so it probably had snow tires and since I was from Canada I could probably drive in just about any snowy French weather that I could find. I didn't have any problems but the rain at the bottom of the mountain had turned to snow/ice at the top.

Quick Reply: Snow chains