Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Snapping noise, metal clicking JK left front end

Old 08-22-2020, 04:09 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,687 Posts

I don't think there's anything in the frame rail there by the steering box that could be causing, what sounds like (from vid 2) as pretty irregular. Can you try to get a video from the wheel well with some visual as well? This is a very odd thread, and unfortunately this seems to be a very strange gremlin. I think it might just take several videos from several locations, with very specific description/troubleshooting. Ie, going straight, turning, etc, and describing specifically if there is any time it's happening or not happening.

I'm really confused a bit. So just in jacking up the front passenger side you're hearing the noise?
Old 08-23-2020, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is an odd gremlin indeed! The noise is present when you are going straight, or turning. It is irregular as you noticed and not related to the speed. My last achievement was to replicate the noise when the jeep is stationary and the engine is off, and that is placing the jack in the front axle, right side and lifting the car. There is a point at aprox. 30 degrees to the ground when the jeep starts to click, both when you lift the car and when you lower it. My guess is something related to torsion and the frame.

I will try during the week to get a couple of videos where you can assess the procedure and I will really cherish your opinion.
Old 08-10-2024, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Balljoints

Tighten your lower ball joints.
This appears to be a common issue. I was able to pull the cotter pin on mine and get 6 full turns tighter on my driver side and 1/2 turn on passenger.
All the clicking went away.

Quick Reply: Snapping noise, metal clicking JK left front end