Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Snapped Handbrake @ Handle

Old 05-15-2011, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapped Handbrake @ Handle

I pulled on my Handbrake a little harder the other day because my Jeep started rolling backward and there was a snap and the handle flew completely vertical! Of course I assumed that a e-brake cable had snapped but there was no sign of a failure under the Jeep so I removed the center console to find that the e-brake cable was fine but the brake handle was moving freely when the button is pressed. Upon closer inspection, the spring that the handle pulls on to wind the cable had snapped.

My questions are:

Is this common?

Is there an easy fix?

Is there a TSB on this?

I have removed the Handbrake completely to take to the stealership for a quote I'm not looking forward to. For now, just leave it in gear.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, that must have been some pull!

Think I'll take it a little easier on mine based on this . . .
Old 05-15-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRich
I pulled on my Handbrake a little harder the other day because my Jeep started rolling backward and there was a snap and the handle flew completely vertical! Of course I assumed that a e-brake cable had snapped but there was no sign of a failure under the Jeep so I removed the center console to find that the e-brake cable was fine but the brake handle was moving freely when the button is pressed. Upon closer inspection, the spring that the handle pulls on to wind the cable had snapped.

My questions are:

Is this common?

Is there an easy fix?

Is there a TSB on this?

I have removed the Handbrake completely to take to the stealership for a quote I'm not looking forward to. For now, just leave it in gear.
It happens. A new one is about $50.

You have done half of the only fix.

There is no TSB on this.

Have you seen this thread? https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ke-Lever-Study

Last edited by ronjenx; 05-15-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
It happens. A new one is about $50.

You have done half of the only fix.

There is no TSB on this.

Have you seen this thread? https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ke-Lever-Study
Amazing! Thank you!

...and thanks for not flaming me for not searching! I did, but must have not used the proper terms.

Great writeup by the way!

What do you mean by I have done only half the fix? By that do you mean manually adjusting the parking brake with a spoon in the drum? If so, yes I have done that in the past. But as we all know, it does little to help the curb the creep.

And lastly, you'd think that there would be a recall or a TSB on such a design flaw.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRich
Amazing! Thank you!

...and thanks for not flaming me for not searching! I did, but must have not used the proper terms.

Great writeup by the way!

What do you mean by I have done only half the fix? By that do you mean manually adjusting the parking brake with a spoon in the drum? If so, yes I have done that in the past. But as we all know, it does little to help the curb the creep.

And lastly, you'd think that there would be a recall or a TSB on such a design flaw.
It's interesting you thought I meant you have done ONLY half the fix.
I see my words as meaning you have ALREADY done half the fix. (Must be the half empty/half full way of looking at things.)
Taking the old one out is half way to installing the new one, which is the only way to fix what broke.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

I broke mine, too. Going to pick up the part at my local dealer soon. It looks super easy to fix according to these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNkKnuUdNeU&feature=relmfu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVqrqEOYWsY&feature=relmfu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82gELSM3rQ&feature=relmfu
Old 07-29-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it just me or is the handbrake KRAP in our JK's...
i've driven maybe 2 dozen vehicles in my life...
and my jeeps handbrake is the weakest and worst i've ever encountered...

Quick Reply: Snapped Handbrake @ Handle