Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Small amount of oil on Rubi shocks

Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small amount of oil on Rubi shocks

Hello,
I purchased a set of take off Rubi shocks. I was told there was about 3,000 miles on them. I noticed on all 4 shocks, there is a little bit of oil left on the shock after I compress it. Is this normal, or are they bad?

I apologize if this question has been answered already, I tried to search, but there are a ton of threads that discuss oil and/or shocks.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Self bump hoping someone has an answer.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DarksAlphas
Hello,
I purchased a set of take off Rubi shocks. I was told there was about 3,000 miles on them. I noticed on all 4 shocks, there is a little bit of oil left on the shock after I compress it. Is this normal, or are they bad?

I apologize if this question has been answered already, I tried to search, but there are a ton of threads that discuss oil and/or shocks.
I would guess there probably shot oil shouldn't leak from anywhere on the shock
Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DarksAlphas
Hello,

can you post a photo? are you talking about a film of oil left on the shaft?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt

can you post a photo? are you talking about a film of oil left on the shaft?
It is hard to see in the pics because it is a small amount of oil. If I wipe them down, there seems to be less oil each time. I am starting to wonder if it is something left over from being on the other vehicle.

Edit: yes, it is a film
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130108_184653.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	407230   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130108_184723.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	407233  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default its just a little ky jelly

I mean jk jelly ! id be sendin the guy back his shocks I think you were bamboozled! customer beware ! never buy used over the intenet anyway ! unless you see it in person ! # lesson learned I guess

ps unless he sprayed oil up there to clean out the crap so they looked newer wich ould be a possibility too !
Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

The Rubi take offs I bought on line looked like they were never on a jeep. Wipe them clean,pump them a few times, if they get oily again send them back.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM
JK Super Freak

My brother gave me his Rubi shocks with only 2 miles on them, left them sit in the closet and the same thing happened. Haven't check after I installed them but I know what your talking about...you're not crazy.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

i installed a BDS 3'' lift about 6 months ago. out of no where my ass end whould shimmy going over bumps, especially at highway speeds. after a bit of trouble shooting i found out the shocks went bad. i noticed that there was hydraulic fluid coming out of the rear shocks and when i took them off, i could depress them down super easy and then fight to pull them back out. while at teh off road shop buying new shocks the guy gave me a little bit of shocks 101.

hydraulic shocks dont have as long a shelf life as gas
gas shocks provide better ride especially for the daily driver
even though it happened to my shocks after 6 months, it is unlikely for things like this to happen.

hope this helps
Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

Tripletsi: Thanks for the reply, maybe these were just sitting a while. I am guessing that you still have them installed and haven't noticed an issue with the ride?

jeepmojo and The Riz: Perhaps it was something they cleaned it with, or they were sitting a while, I wiped them down, after each pump, and after about 8 pumps or so, there doesn't seem to be anymore fluid.

mattyk: Thank you for the info, it is good to learn something new. So far, they are not too easy to depress, and they seem to be extending back by themselves.

Quick Reply: Small amount of oil on Rubi shocks