Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Slipping on turns

Old 11-19-2010, 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, it's the ESP kicking in.

It seems there's no gentle application of the brakes by the computer; if it detects loss of traction or computes that loss of traction or possible rollover is imminent due input from the roll and steering wheel sensors it will apply brake fully to one wheel and then another as it attempts to tame down the roll. Of course the sudden application of one brake by the computer's ESP will cause it to begin to lock up, thus triggering the ABS portion of the system which will switch the affected brake on and off rapidly and make the grinding, metal on metal kinda noise in the process.

It kinda freaks you out the first time you hear it, as it makes the gut-wrenching sound like you've thrown a brake pad or worn the pad's friction material right down to the metal housing pins and you're hearing the metal-on-metal scrape of a caliper on the disc rotor (unfortunately I have experienced this event in the past & know exactly what it sounds like).

It's why the rear breake pads and rotors tend to wear out so quickly on the JK; the harsh triggering of the ESP/TCS is causing it. I'm not one to knock the JK's ESP, even though it used to trigger way too soon before I had the re-flash done. It saved my life or at least serious injury to myself and another by allowing me to brake hard at 50MPH while steering around a car that had run a red light; without ABS and ESP I would have hit him broadside, rolled over, or both.

Quick Reply: Slipping on turns