Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Slipping out of overdrive

Old 04-07-2013, 05:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Freewill
Ron I think the shift program has subtle differences from year to year. My '11 pops out of OD and unlocks at the same instant, then it may re-lock the TC while in 3rd if the load doesn't require an open converter. On the other hand, I never need to manually tease the transmission into a downshift - it works just the opposite, shifting out of OD and unlocking on the slightest incline.

I remember we've talked about this in the past regarding running in lo-range. Seems yours will lock the converter with OD turned off, but mine never does. Wish mine worked like yours; I'd like a locked converter in 3rd with OD turned off.
Yes, there could be subtle differences in the programming.
Yours will shift out of O/D with a locked T/C?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Yes, there could be subtle differences in the programming.
Yours will shift out of O/D with a locked T/C?
The downshift and unlock appear to happen at the same time. There is probably an unlock>shift sequence but the timing is so close it isn't felt from the driver's seat. After that the TC usually stays unlocked until it shifts back to OD. Sometimes the TC will lock in 3rd if the hill flattens out gradually at the top. It spends a whole lot of time running in 3rd with an unlocked TC unless the road is level with a tailwind or running downhill.

I'm going to try 4.56 gears. I don't drive very fast anyway. If the drive train sees less load because of the lower gears, I might spend more time locked. Never did enjoy driving the Chev Powerglide in the old days either.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Freewill
The downshift and unlock appear to happen at the same time. There is probably an unlock>shift sequence but the timing is so close it isn't felt from the driver's seat. After that the TC usually stays unlocked until it shifts back to OD. Sometimes the TC will lock in 3rd if the hill flattens out gradually at the top. It spends a whole lot of time running in 3rd with an unlocked TC unless the road is level with a tailwind or running downhill.

I'm going to try 4.56 gears. I don't drive very fast anyway. If the drive train sees less load because of the lower gears, I might spend more time locked. Never did enjoy driving the Chev Powerglide in the old days either.
That seems about the same as I was describing. And yes, a change to 4.56 will allow the transmission to spend more time locked, and doing less downshifting.

Quick Reply: Slipping out of overdrive