Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Which skid plate first

Old 02-26-2012, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which skid plate first

Well I'm running a 2012 Jk unlimited sahara which I lifted 2.5 inches and we are wanting to go off road hunting some coyotes on the ranch and do some mountain trials. So was wonder what skids I should do first
Old 02-26-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Tx26257
Well I'm running a 2012 Jk unlimited sahara which I lifted 2.5 inches and we are wanting to go off road hunting some coyotes on the ranch and do some mountain trials. So was wonder what skids I should do first
Excellent question...I have a 2012 2 door and I have the same question...
Old 02-26-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with a muffler and sway bar disco skid first. I know a lot of people will say the muffler skid is stupid but i wanted to leave the stock exhaust alone and on the 2012's there are no seprate manifolds....the exhaust manifolds are cast into the heads.....i didn't want to come down on the muffler and possible break the exhaust off the heads....... and the disco seems to be a pretty expensive part as well.

Then after that i did a winch and front bumper.....
Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Evap skid plate...probably the most vulnerable piece of equipment under there stock...that and some good rock sliders to keep from smashing up your tub
Old 02-26-2012, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I agree with EVAP Canister

The EVAP is really in a bad place on the new 2012's.
The one on my '93 YJ is up by the Master Cyl., why it
was moved is anybodies guess... I'm figuring they made
it to big to fit in the engine compartment...
If you Damage or rip it out from under Your rig your
going to have the Comp light for check engine come
on...until you get it fixed/replaced. And Your Jk will
run like crap.

Just my 2cts.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

So it sounds like a evap skip plate should be first
Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

I need to go check but it appears by what I read online that the evaporator skid is now standard on the 2012
Old 02-26-2012, 08:31 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

evap skid? really??

not only do the 2012's COME WITH a good skid for the evap, even if you were to take it out, it's not like you'd be left high and dry. you can drive just fine without one, trust me, i've knocked mine off my 2007 three times over the last 5 years and only had to replace it once. seriously, this or a muffler skid are NOT needed.

to the OP, if you have an automatic, i would recommend that you protect the only things that DO NOT come protected from the factory: 1. oil pan 2. transmission sump pan. between the two, there is a transmisson line that is just itching to get ripped out. i would recommend a skid system like the evo protek. this will cover all the vital areas that are not protected from the factory.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...em-for-2012-jk
The following users liked this post:
Montego (11-24-2022)
Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on the protek skids. Evo makes some serious stuff and It protects that exhaust loop which is just beggin to get bashed.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
evap skid? really??

not only do the 2012's COME WITH a good skid for the evap, even if you were to take it out, it's not like you'd be left high and dry. you can drive just fine without one, trust me, i've knocked mine off my 2007 three times over the last 5 years and only had to replace it once. seriously, this or a muffler skid are NOT needed.

to the OP, if you have an automatic, i would recommend that you protect the only things that DO NOT come protected from the factory: 1. oil pan 2. transmission sump pan. between the two, there is a transmisson line that is just itching to get ripped out. i would recommend a skid system like the evo protek. this will cover all the vital areas that are not protected from the factory.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...em-for-2012-jk
X2... There are quite a few other things I'd be more worried about then a muffler or evap.. Think about it, how far are you going to get if you tear a hole in your oil Pan and do not have a quick fix to get off the trail? If you tear the Trans line like WOL said, once again how far are you going to get.... Worry about "vital organs" before wasting your money on things that are not a necessity... I made my own oil pan skid for $20 and it's saved my ass a few times. Your shock mounts and LCA mounts are going to take the most beatings to include diff covers.. Even the covers are pretty durable... Just my .2

Quick Reply: Which skid plate first