Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Single "ding" with oil change light at startup

Old 01-19-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single "ding" with oil change light at startup

Okay, tried the search but didn't come up with anything that sounded like the issue I'm having [well, not quite an issue at this point]. Did the oil change last week, so I know it can't be the oil, but have this weird thing that's been happening for about a month or so now and been meaning to post it but kept slipping my mind .

Here's the issue: When I start the Jeep up, I get a single "ding" followed by the oil light flash just once. After that, no more dings, no more oil light till the next time I have to start it again. Still have that annoying tick/knock on cold starts too, so not sure the two are related either. Anyone else noticed this? Is this ok, normal, or do I need to make another trip to the dealer? The last time I'd used the Hypertech, there were no DTCs recorded, so I don't think it's throwing a code.

Last edited by interceptor_1972; 01-19-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:41 PM
JK Jedi

Around lunch this afternoon, I figured I'd see if it'd do it again and got my phone ready to get a video of it, and sure enough, it did it. So, here's a little video to show what I'm talking about.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm probably the least knowledgeable person to reply to this, but I'd be thinking a poor or nonexistent anti drain back valve in your oil filter. What kind of oil filter did you use? By the way that's a check engine light and may not be related to the oil at all.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ResQGrnRubi
I'm probably the least knowledgeable person to reply to this, but I'd be thinking a poor or nonexistent anti drain back valve in your oil filter. What kind of oil filter did you use? By the way that's a check engine light and may not be related to the oil at all.
The oil filter I'm using right now is a Motorcraft FL-793.

Oh, the Check Engine light was on when the jeep hadn't been started yet. I turned it on and made sure the radio was off and the seat belt was on to prevent other chimes/sounds from popping in. Check engine light does not come on when the engine is started.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When you changed the oil last week did you reset the OCI (oil change indicator)?

(can't open the video...)

Last edited by Jiblet; 01-19-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

If he's got an 07, chances are it doesn't have the oil change indicator, that wasn't added until later in the year.

interceptor, I would guess some kind of low oil pressure reading at startup. Could be a bad anti drainback as another suggested, or it could be a flaky sensor that doesn't get a reading until a second or 2 after you start, which causes the quick flash of the low oil pressure light.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Jiblet
When you changed the oil last week did you reset the OCI (oil change indicator)?
I don't believe mine has that... Searched the owners manual to see and there's no mention of an OCI; mine is a 2007.

Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited
If he's got an 07, chances are it doesn't have the oil change indicator, that wasn't added until later in the year.

interceptor, I would guess some kind of low oil pressure reading at startup. Could be a bad anti drainback as another suggested, or it could be a flaky sensor that doesn't get a reading until a second or 2 after you start, which causes the quick flash of the low oil pressure light.
I may put up with it for now till the next oil change and go with a different filter to see if that makes any difference. Funny thing is, I've been using Motorcraft filters since I got it in February last year and it just started doing this about a month or so back. Darn those gremlins!!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is not the change oil indicator, that is the oil pressure light.
The oil change indicator actualy says "Chang Oil" in the digital display

Most likly a faulty sender but may want to get that checked out in case it really is low in oil pressure as if your oil pump is about to fail you'll pop your engine when it does.

What viscosity of oil you using? 5W20 or thicker I hope.

Last edited by 999666; 01-19-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just to be sure it isn't the OCI light, and I dont think it is....turn the key to ON position but don;t start it. Then press the gas pedal all the way down 3 times in rapid sucession. Then start it and see if it still does it. If not, that was your issue. If it is still there, it wasn't your problem
Old 01-20-2010, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just reset it (see your manual)

when you change the oil. It has no idea you changed the oil unless you reset the timer yourself.

Quick Reply: Single "ding" with oil change light at startup