Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

side step installation

Old 04-12-2007, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default side step installation

I just got my side steps from one of my contacts on this site. He had to reuse his hardware when he installed his aftermarket step rails. Does anyone know exactly what hardware I need to install the stock ones?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by burg54
I just got my side steps from one of my contacts on this site. He had to reuse his hardware when he installed his aftermarket step rails. Does anyone know exactly what hardware I need to install the stock ones?
Tools or Parts???
Old 04-12-2007, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just put them on my 2dr X. All you need is a 13mm Socket and a 10mm open ended wrench. The rails came with 8 nuts and 4 bolts(with 4 clips).
Old 04-13-2007, 02:49 AM
JK Freak

Are they the OEM Black molded style ones? If so I just put my set on 2 days ago. If that is the case, there are two clips needed for under the body along with 3 bolts (13mm head fine thread). There is one hole towards the rear already threaded, and there are 3 black square pads under the body covering the holes where the bolts go, just take a screwdriver and clear them. The pads are for the feet of the step to rest against. The 6 stubs that go into the pinch area use a 10mm head fine thread nut. I hope this help if they are OEM.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. Does anyone have pics of these clips, nuts and bolts? I don't have any of them and want to get the install right the first time. All I have, are the steps.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I need the actual nuts, bolts and clips. My side steps didn't come with these items since the seller reused them. That's why I am trying to figure out actual sizes...
Old 04-13-2007, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

try the dealer
Old 04-17-2007, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Go to dealer

As much as I hate to suggest the stealership, that is the best place to go. I just recently had the same problem with my side steps I purchased from someone on this site. I went to the stealer, told them what I needed and they didn't have them in stock, but they only cost like 50 cents a piece, and they were able to tell me another stealership that had them in stock . I didn't feel like driving 30 minutes to go to that stealership and I ended up getting what I needed at Ace Hardware for a little bit cheaper , but I at least had something in my hand to match it up to to make sure I was getting the right thing. Others have posted the info you need to go to somewhere like Ace, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to have something to compare to when buying fasteners/hardware. If you do go to Ace make sure you get automotive grade hardware, because you can get the same fasteners in various other grades and finishes that will not be sufficient for what you need.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKJoe
Are they the OEM Black molded style ones? If so I just put my set on 2 days ago. If that is the case, there are two clips needed for under the body along with 3 bolts (13mm head fine thread). There is one hole towards the rear already threaded, and there are 3 black square pads under the body covering the holes where the bolts go, just take a screwdriver and clear them. The pads are for the feet of the step to rest against. The 6 stubs that go into the pinch area use a 10mm head fine thread nut. I hope this help if they are OEM.
Here I am ready to resurrect an old thread! I just got my sidesteps (Mopar OEM style) from a local guy for only $100. It was a great deal. My only problem is the rear most set of holes. There are no clips provided for these, but the bolts won't thread into the frame easily. There's a big mass of foam like substance inside the frame cavity on these rear most holes. I can't seem to get the bolt to thread up into that foam stuff, it is very stiff foam. Has anyone had this problem?

Quick Reply: side step installation