Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

should you pull in reverse

Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should you pull in reverse

should you ever pull someone out while you r in reverse with a 6 speed? or help arhor a winch in reverse?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie

I've always heard to NEVER do that.

Apparently the R&P are weaker in reverse, and attempting to pull a heavy load could result in R&P damage...

If you are turned around backwards it might be best to use a winch, or turn yourself around forwards.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
I've always heard to NEVER do that.

Apparently the R&P are weaker in reverse, and attempting to pull a heavy load could result in R&P damage...

If you are turned around backwards it might be best to use a winch, or turn yourself around forwards.
x2, precisely
Old 03-01-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi

Well......in all the other jeeps I've had over the years I used to do it all the time before I knew any better and never broke anything. So take it for what it's worth. If you don't have to then don't. But if you find yourself in a position where you absolutely "have" to do it then take it easy and use a snatch strap with a lot of stretch which makes it a bit more easy on a rig.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 03-01-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah, if you've ever looked at a ring and pinion, you'll notice that each gear tooth is sloped in the same direction on each. Tough to explain, but the side of the tooth that is more flat than sloped is where the contact is made going forward. The sloped side is much weaker and where the strain is placed going in reverse. It causes a condition called deflection where the contact area lessens under load since the pinion flexes making it suseptible to snapping a tooth or 10 off.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I figure it's the same argument as 'should you pull or winch someone out'. A 'light' stuck, pulling in reverse shouldn't hurt anything. A 'heavy' stuck, turn around or find someone with a winch.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

lets say you are using a winch and its on the front, do I turn off the vehicle and leave it in the reverse gear or in 1st gear? I am sure you dont leave it in neutral and use the parking brake.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rrrrrrkevin
lets say you are using a winch and its on the front, do I turn off the vehicle and leave it in the reverse gear or in 1st gear? I am sure you dont leave it in neutral and use the parking brake.
I wouldn't turn off the vehicle winching because it can drain the battery quickly if its a long pull. In that situation I put it in reverse and use the brake
Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

what if your not in the vehicle? it would stall and I wouldnt want it in gear anyways while its running and im not in it
Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rrrrrrkevin
what if your not in the vehicle? it would stall and I wouldnt want it in gear anyways while its running and im not in it
well yeah, if you're not in the vehicle you would have to do neutral and e brake

Quick Reply: should you pull in reverse