Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Should I just replace the wiring?

Old Today | 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default Should I just replace the wiring?

2012 Sahara. I bought the jeep a year ago, and have had problems on and off. I replaced the rocker arms/lifters, that solved my tick. I then had some codes that lead me to replacing the oil pressure sensor and the coolant temp sensor. Everything was fine, until some washboard road caused the radiator fan to blow as hard as possible, the RPM to be limited, long turning over to start the engine, no reading to the temp guage, CEL, throttle control warning light (two red lines with a red lightning bolt between them), and the traction control light were all on solid. Long story about throwing parts at a problem to no avail short, I discovered the wiring to the coolant temp sensor was 2 strands from being fully severed. I replaced the wiring lead, and that has been the fix for 7 months.

While on an easy dirt road with my son, the Jeep went into that same "limp" mode with dash lights. Throwing these codes:
0345 - Camshaft position sensor A circuit bank 2
0390 - Camshaft position sensor B circuit bank 2
0113 - Intake air temp sensor 1 circuit high
0523 - Engine oil pressure sensor/switch high
0340 - Camshaft position sensor 1 or single sensor
06DA - I think this one is an oil pressure control circuit error
0198 - Engine oil temp sensor high
0118 - Engine coolant temp sensor 1 circuit high
0108 - Manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit high
0365 - Camshaft position sensor B circuit bank 1
0304 - Cylinder 4 misfire
060E - Throttle Pedal Position Sensor Low Input

This all seems to me like there is a wiring issue going on, so I've been tracking down wiring that looks especially bad at the connectors, and replacing them. In this process I discovered a leaky oil cooler and replaced it with an aluminum one. After hours of butt connectors and multiple dis/reassemblies, I get the same behavior, same codes (yes, I cleared them). I even get that list of codes with the key in accessory. I'm at a complete loss, as I've replaced so many bits of wiring, so many sensors, I've checked grounding straps, and I wonder if I need to just replace all the wiring in the engine, or replace the PCM maybe?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Old Today | 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Welcome to the Forum Given all your efforts and repairs, IMO going after an engine wiring harness would be the 1st choice, Call Salvage Yards and get Availability and Price before the PCM.. Have seen on TV shows companies that also sell wiring harness; that might be worth investigating. Good luck and keep the forum updated on your success. FYI.. for our 13 manual trans is below: IF IT IS Still Available from Mopar
Wiring, Engine Chrysler Usage: JEEP - 4WD [J]; SPORT UTILITY 2-DR TYPE #2 [72], SPORT UTILITY 4-DR TYPE #4 [74]; 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine [ERB]; 6-Speed Manual NSG370 Transmission [DEH]; X86 Callout: 1 –List Price: $2,870.00

Quick Reply: Should I just replace the wiring?