Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Should I buy BFG MT's for the winter?

Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 AM
nextreme

Well I just contacted a local tire shop, who has a guy who happens to be big into off-roading. When I mentioned the siping to him, at first he thought I was talking about grooving, which I believe they take your tire, place it in a lathe type machine and make grooves in the tread. He said they can go as thin as 1/8". I told him that I actually meant siping with a hot knife, and he said he could do it no problem.

Anyone had their tires 'grooved'? I wonder if it would be better?

Anyways, now that I found someone locally to help me out I guess I will get the BFG MT's, seeing as I am getting them at a great price. I am sure that if they are siped they will be much better in the winter than the tires I have now.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nextreme
The problem is in the Ottawa Valley we get all winter conditions, ice, slush, freezing rain, deep snow etc. It has ALWAYS made it a nightmare for deciding on tires.

I bought very expensive Blizzak ICE tires once for my car. Oh sure, they gripped great on ice, but once we had 12" of snow and it became a slushy mess on the highway I was all over the road.

I guess I am just trying to see what would be the best. I think it would cost at least $1000 before taxes to buy 4 AT's, where as I would be getting the used 4 stock Rubi tires with the Rubi rims for $650.
Any car will perform poorly in 12" of snow because of the lack of ground clearance. I really like the Blizzaks, they are awesome in Cleveland winters on both a Bonneville and an Odyssey.
Another tire that is also very good in the winter is th Winterforce M&S. Available in 265-75-16 (31.8 x 10.5 - 16 ) I have a set on a S-10 pick-up and they are great in the snow. They are also studdable if you want. They will beat the snot out of Rubicon tires in the snow
Old 10-10-2007, 06:09 PM
nextreme

Originally Posted by ODAMO
Any car will perform poorly in 12" of snow because of the lack of ground clearance. I really like the Blizzaks, they are awesome in Cleveland winters on both a Bonneville and an Odyssey.
I should have been clearer. I meant after the 12” of snow turned to slush.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Both the Blizzaks and the Winterforce are extremely capable in all winter conditions, although I feel the Blizzak to be the better of the two on ice.
The Winterforce is available in larger sizes. You won't go wrong with either.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default Grooving - vs - Siping

These are two entirely different things. Grooving is to add to the void area for a particular purpose. such as mud, sand, rock crawling. Siping is to make a tire more tractive in wet conditions such as rain, snow, ice.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get 5 tires and Rubicon rims for 650 I'd do it in a heartbeat. Seriously. The tires will be okay if you sipe them. I'm a huge fan of the BFG AT's, and will put those on mine when I can, but would buy those at that price. I have the same problem as you, the stock X unlimited tires are absolute crap, and I am in serious fear of what they will perform like this winter. I don't have the money to upgrade either. Buy those tires and rims, keep the rims you like and sell the others. You'll have upgraded tires for dirt cheap until you shell out the money for something really good. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Should I buy BFG MT's for the winter?