Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Should I buy BFG MT's for the winter?

Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 PM
nextreme

Default Should I buy BFG MT's for the winter?

I currently have the stock 17" tires that come on the 'X' Unlimited with sport package. I think they are Goodyear Wranglers, but I am not sure. Anyways, I did not like how they performed in the winter last year so I am looking at getting something a little more suitable.

Would the stock Rubicon tires, the BFG MT's, be a good choice for the winter? If not, why and are they really that bad? What if I was getting an amazing deal on them? Would they be worth it then?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nextreme
I currently have the stock 17" tires that come on the 'X' Unlimited with sport package. I think they are Goodyear Wranglers, but I am not sure. Anyways, I did not like how they performed in the winter last year so I am looking at getting something a little more suitable.

Would the stock Rubicon tires, the BFG MT's, be a good choice for the winter? If not, why and are they really that bad? What if I was getting an amazing deal on them? Would they be worth it then?

Thanks
For an Ontario winter the answer is no. You need siped tires.....
Old 10-08-2007, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nextreme
Beter than the stock X 17 tires, i would say yes.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

I also have the stock 17" Goodyears, and based on the tread pattern I have concerns about the icy Long Island winter.

I've been told that the MT's are not very good at all in the ice and packed snow, but I don't this know from experience.
I've heard that the AT's are the way to go for ice and packed snow... anyone agree or dissagree?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

The thing is nothing is good on ice. For wet snow like we get in this area and Long island the rubis are beter than the stock Xs.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:42 AM
nextreme

The problem is in the Ottawa Valley we get all winter conditions, ice, slush, freezing rain, deep snow etc. It has ALWAYS made it a nightmare for deciding on tires.

I bought very expensive Blizzak ICE tires once for my car. Oh sure, they gripped great on ice, but once we had 12" of snow and it became a slushy mess on the highway I was all over the road.

I guess I am just trying to see what would be the best. I think it would cost at least $1000 before taxes to buy 4 AT's, where as I would be getting the used 4 stock Rubi tires with the Rubi rims for $650.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:49 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Go with the MT's and get them siped right away.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah, The BFG All-Terrains (KO) work great on snow, and can do some off roading as well.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRDesign
Yeah, The BFG All-Terrains (KO) work great on snow, and can do some off roading as well.
x3, When I lived in Vermont I had BFG AT's on my Dakota and never had a problem in the winter.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering the same thing a few days ago. I checked out the BFG website, and it let you line up the MudTerrains, MudTerrain II's, and All Terrains on a grid, showing how well each wheel performed in certain conditions.

Basically, it shows the All Terrain performing great in the snow, and awesome in the mud. The MudTerrain performs just a little better than average in the snow, and just a little better than the AT in the mud.

So, I guess if you go by what BF Goodrich says, if you're just doing mild off-roading go with the All Terrains.

Now, to hijack this thread, anybody want to reccommend the All Terrain? Or is there a better brand?

Quick Reply: Should I buy BFG MT's for the winter?