Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Shock replacement

Old 01-03-2018, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock replacement

To replace the passenger side shock I had to remove damn near everything in the engine bay. I had to take the battery, fuse thing and even the power steering fluid reservoir to access the nut. I still had to sawzall the shock. What a nightmare. I just could not access the nut to tighten the new shock.

Is is there a short cut, did I miss something?

its a 2012 2 dr
Old 01-03-2018, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by themoneyshot
To replace the passenger side shock I had to remove damn near everything in the engine bay. I had to take the battery, fuse thing and even the power steering fluid reservoir to access the nut. I still had to sawzall the shock. What a nightmare. I just could not access the nut to tighten the new shock.

Is is there a short cut, did I miss something?

its a 2012 2 dr
You have to take a pair of cutters (side cut pliers or the like) and cut away some the plastic inside the wheel well to access the nut from the wheel well.

I can take a pic of mine tomorrow when it is day light if you want.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes it is quite simple you just need to trim some of the bottom of the battery tray away. Teraflex has a good video of what needs to be done.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes. I did my 2012 a few months ago. The plastic you need to break away is so flimsy. Just a regular screwdriver used as a pry tool will snap it right out and give access to the top bolt.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I should have asked earlier.

I had had thought about taking a dremmel to the plastic piece but feared I would saw right through the fuse block.

Im a little disappointed with the engineering for not leaving an access. What vehicle is more likely to change the shocks than a Jeep?
Old 01-04-2018, 04:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by themoneyshot
What vehicle is more likely to change the shocks than a Jeep?
A Miata. But that's an order of magnitude harder to do. I would think swapping the shocks on a JK on all four corners is, what, a 2-hour job? All in all, so far I've found the JK to be among the easiest vehicles to work on of all time.

It's often mystifying how they make some seemingly routine or ordinary things so painfully difficult to do. After I changed the water pump in my daughter's Audi A4 I was about ready to put a bomb in that car. And I once spent something like 8 hours changing the alternator in an old BMW. The weekend before that I did the alternator in my 240Z and it was literally a 15-minute job. Oh, and you have to take off the air box and power steering reservoir just to SEE the oil filter on my daughter's Fiat 500.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

I took a dreml and some side cutters to mine. Still a pita but doable. Also get a set of "gear wrenches" they make life a bit easier.

Quick Reply: Shock replacement