Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Shifting problems

Old 01-07-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed Shifting problems

Been having problem shifting my jeep into 1st/2nd and
reverse.. No problems with anyother gear so
I rip apart my shifter and found that under the shifter boot there is another... I don't have any idea what the second boot does so I ripped it off and found that it shifts way better with no problems..when I took the boot off noticed alot of wear makes on it and it had a few rips in the rubber. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this... No more granding gears

Last edited by Nolan; 01-07-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

I had a problem with popping out of 4th gear when the weather got cold. The dealer installed a new lower boot and everything is fine now, that was 2+ years ago.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same issues. Been reading the threads with the gear popping out, and it seems to almost always be a problem with the lower boot, which then gets replaced and problems stop. Never heard of anyone just ripping the bottom one out, but from what I've read all it does is mitigate sound coming up from the tranny. Can anyone confirm that that's all it does? Cause if it is, then this would be a doable solution for gears popping out for anyone in the future out of warranty, who doesn't mind the noise.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sound is one reason but the biggest is weather. when you pop the lower one out you're looking at the top of the tranny.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

had my lower boot replaced, no problems since, but it is still hard to change gears in cold weather but that is normal
Old 01-08-2010, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah there is alot of sound from the tranny with the boot removed but I can live with that.. And it looks like it is still
sealed with another boot over the tranny
Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Also no problems changing gears in the cold anymore and I'm from Canada and it was -30 last night and no problem this morning
Old 01-08-2010, 09:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you happen to get any pictures with the boot removed? I'm having the same issue here.

Quick Reply: Shifting problems