Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Shift Knob

Old 09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Shift Knob

OK, This is a retarded question, and I apologize. I'm just a cop with little mechanical knowledge, but this is my first Jeep and I'm learning all I can, but first thing's first. How do I remove the shift knob? I twist and turn, but don't want to break it. I am replacing it with a nicer form fitting one. I guess the same question applies to the 4x4 shift.

Sorry to all those already talking advanced transfer case, suspension, lift kits....I'll get there!!

-Joe
Old 09-12-2007, 11:38 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm pretty sure you just have to pull up hard as it is just pushed into place. At least, that how it looks in the FSM.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

I dont have a 6 speed in mine, but there is usually a cap that you have to pop off and remove a "jam nut" from the thread in order to just simply screw off the shift knob. The 4WD shifter, I dont know, maybe the same, but im not sure.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:43 AM
JK Junkie

Just pull straight out. Its a press fit. It takes some force, but when it lets loose, it really lets loose. I had a bruise on my chest for a week.. at least I didnt punch myself in the face
Old 09-12-2007, 11:50 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by 00pumpkin
I dont have a 6 speed in mine, but there is usually a cap that you have to pop off and remove a "jam nut" from the thread in order to just simply screw off the shift knob. The 4WD shifter, I dont know, maybe the same, but im not sure.
This was true on the TJ but not the JK.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by bly109
Just pull straight out. Its a press fit. It takes some force, but when it lets loose, it really lets loose. I had a bruise on my chest for a week.. at least I didnt punch myself in the face
Oh man, how would you explain that to your friends if you had hit your face - LOL!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
This was true on the TJ but not the JK.
Gotcha

So is there some sort of thread on there?? Ive got a knob that came off my TJ that I was hoping to re-thread and use.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Oh man, how would you explain that to your friends if you had hit your face - LOL!!!
Yeah, that wouldve been bad The harrassment I took from my fiance about my chest was bad enough!!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 00pumpkin
Gotcha

So is there some sort of thread on there?? Ive got a knob that came off my TJ that I was hoping to re-thread and use.
No thread, just the smooth shaft. I think there was an indention towards the top that the factory one pressed over. We transfered the rock shifter from our TJ before we traded it. The rock shifter has a great feel to it. The only bad thing is, it can get rocket hot in the summer and like ice in the winter.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 PM
58seventty

Default My knob... heh heh

i just pulled straight up. not even hard. off it came.

no threads. i put a rock knob on mine. me likey.

Quick Reply: Shift Knob