Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Shift boot removal

Old 09-18-2007, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it possible to separate the rubber boot part from the Plastic bezel on manuals? i am havin a hell of a time tring to get it off. do you have to take out those "screws" that look totally fake?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Wink

Originally Posted by ksroqclimber
is it possible to separate the rubber boot part from the Plastic bezel on manuals? i am havin a hell of a time tring to get it off. do you have to take out those "screws" that look totally fake?
you have to drill the fake screws out. use a drill bit just a little smaller than the fake screws, there like a plastic revit. when you drill all of these out, it'll seperate the two pieces. and the shifter boots in the middle.

the heater knobs were a pain in the ass. I used a pair of vise grips, and pulled very hard.

I would suggest taking out the whole heater assemblyi to do this, if not its going to be a whole lot of pressure on the dashboard.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

you have to drill the fake screws out. use a drill bit just a little smaller than the fake screws, there like a plastic revit. when you drill all of these out, it'll seperate the two pieces. and the shifter boots in the middle.
sorry for being dumb here, but can you then find new screws/bolts to fill the holes when you put it back on? or is it a situation where if you take that ring off, you have to buy a whole new one to replace it?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by ksroqclimber
sorry for being dumb here, but can you then find new screws/bolts to fill the holes when you put it back on? or is it a situation where if you take that ring off, you have to buy a whole new one to replace it?
yeah, it'll trash the ring, and I doubt you can just order the ring at the dealer. it'lll come as a complete kit.

I did this to install my billet shifter ring. Why do you need to seperate it?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:53 AM
JK Freak

I think he might be looking to just paint it instead of buying the replacement surround. I'm also kinda wondering if I can just remove the top ring around my auto shifter without trashing the thing so that I can paint it.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think he might be looking to just paint it instead of buying the replacement surround.
that is exactly what i was trying to accomplish.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Default Another reason to remove it

My Lab was in the jeep while I ran into a store and she decided to pull on the shift boot, pulling out the edge of it from the bezel. Mildly annoying and hopefully easy to fix- otherwise I may just have to get the billet bezel.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone know how to remove the bezel on an automatic transmission???
Old 04-18-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does the shifter handle come out of the boot by chance? I'm wanting to install an 03 Mustang Cobra 6 sp shifter ball in place of the plastic pos that's on it now. I was thinking of cutting the stock handle and welding on the top half of a Mustang shifter handle. They are nicely threaded so the ball will screw on snuggly. Yeah it's probably the hard way to do it, but I have a welder and I'd like to do it right.

Quick Reply: Shift boot removal