Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

She's growling at me!

Old 09-11-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She's growling at me!

During my last trip to the ORV park I noticed my 12 Rubicon was "growling" at me... (and that may be coincidence, I hadnt been driving much with windows down before that)
It seems to be coming from the accessory belt area. Maybe the PS or AC pump??? Definitely under the hood, seems its in the front of the engine.

Its a low waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar sound (work with me here... Im trying) It sounds like a pissed off cat. You know that evil low whirring growl they do? It is only noticable when idling, low idle at that. When you first start the engine its not there, then when it kicks down to low idle (500 RPM) it starts. Hot, cold doesnt matter. I washed it several times thinking maybe some mud got up in something. No change. No dash lights are yelling at me, no other problems that I have noticed. Only 1500 miles on it.

I am about to take it to the dealer and see if its a problem.

Anyone else run into this?

Last edited by msquaredIN; 09-11-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

It's not the electric fan is it?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duneslider
It's not the electric fan is it?
No good thought but I checked that. Happens without the fan running. Also turned AC on and off with no change.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

its all those extra horse's trying to escape!!!! dont let them!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Does your ps pump have enough fluid? It could have a small whine to it but I would think a new one would be quiet.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just got back from the dealer. They first thought it was just mud on the belt, but it was still growling after they cleaned it. Now they tell me they have to call Chrysler and order parts. They think it is the idler pulley/bearing.

Hopefully I will get a call soon that the parts are in and we can get my Rubicon happy and quiet again.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rediculous!!!

First trip to dealer - they cleaned it, no change. Had to contact Chrysler so sent me away.
Second trip - Set me up in a rental car for 2 days. Representative from corporate looked at it. No change. Have to order parts, sent me away.
THIRD trip - Set me up in a rental again, just got the call, they changed the belt and NO CHANGE! THEY HAVE TO ORDER AN ALTERNATOR AND IDLER!!!! So again I have to go get my Jeep and wait...

WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU NOT ORDER EVERYTHING ON THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE THAT MIGHT MAKE NOISE and return what you dont use???

So maybe by the end of the week I get to make the FOURTH TRIP to get this noise fixed. I reminded them that I leave for the Jamboree next Thursday and it would be nice if my new Jeep didnt sound like crap the entire time.

Good thing I love this $#*@ thing or it just would not be worth the hassle!
Old 10-03-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

And all is well! They replaced the belt and idler/tensioner and it's back to a nice quiet idle!
Old 10-03-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Old 10-03-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

YEAH
only took a month. the dealers are awesome

Quick Reply: She's growling at me!