Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Shaking/vibration after 45 mph..NOT A DEATH WOBBLE

Old 05-16-2012, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DvD88
I had the same problem since I change the wheels and tires. 45-50 mph started to vibrate. I went to align and balance about 8 times and could not find the problem. Just for curiosity, I asked em to change the wheel spacers and TAN-TAN! The problem was solved! It may be that your adapters be defective! TRY IT...

I will swap out the factory rims and tires with wheel spacers for the soft 8's i have on my Rubi and see if that is what causes it.

Does anyone know off hand, if I even need to run wheel spacers with 315's on factory rims with the Terraflex level kit?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rattler_thesnake
I will swap out the factory rims and tires with wheel spacers for the soft 8's i have on my Rubi and see if that is what causes it.

Does anyone know off hand, if I even need to run wheel spacers with 315's on factory rims with the Terraflex level kit?
Yes you will need spacers, or 4.5in backspacing.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Junkie

What makes the spacers/back spacing necessary, something to do with the lift?

Matthew
Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
What makes the spacers/back spacing necessary, something to do with the lift?

Matthew
Spacers/backspacing are necessary when you increase the width of your tire over stock, otherwise your tire will rub on the suspension components
Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any chance that when putting on the spacers, you didnt remove one or more of the small star-shaped washers/rings that come from the factory on the lugs? This could cause your spacer to not sit perfectly level and cause a very slight out-of-balance condition...

Just a thought, easy to check and free

-Adam
Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine started doing this after mudding, doesn't start till around 55-60 but at 70 it goes from a shake to move of a faster vibration, sometimes it calms down for a couple minutes then comes back. I cleaned the wheels pretty well but maybe i missed some on the inner part of the wheel.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Tx98Formula
Mine started doing this after mudding, doesn't start till around 55-60 but at 70 it goes from a shake to move of a faster vibration, sometimes it calms down for a couple minutes then comes back. I cleaned the wheels pretty well but maybe i missed some on the inner part of the wheel.
More than likely you missed some mud. It can easily throw a tire out of balance
Old 03-09-2021, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

I have this same exact problem only from 45mph-50mph. I do have 2in wheel spacers, do you mean change the wheel spacers and get new ones, or re try to align the spacers i already have to fix this problem?
Old 03-09-2021, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Micolucci, Jr
I have this same exact problem only from 45mph-50mph. I do have 2in wheel spacers, do you mean change the wheel spacers and get new ones, or re try to align the spacers i already have to fix this problem?
This thread is suggesting that if you have cheap spacers and not a tried and true brand like Spidertrax, Synergy, etc, that the spacer itself could be an issue with high/lo spots. It's quicker to first try and rotate your tires to see if it's any better. Usually, these things are tire-related. If it is the same, then rotate the spacers themselves from front to back and see if there is any change. Since you have a 2" spacer, I'm guessing they might just be an eBay special. That's what I'd do at least as a starting point.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's funny this popped up. I had a little more shimmy than you'd expect with tires out of balance and while it would get better with rotating the tires (thus pointing to my balance being out....which I figured as much), it also stayed around even with changing tire pressures and positions. I was doing inner axle seals which means you're pulling the guts out of the front end and figured I'd do brakes while I was there. Lo and behold, one of my axle shafts made a crusty noise when moving it around. I took the joint out to take a peek and the first set of caps looked good. The other set was dusty and rusty- seals let go and the grease was gone. Replaced the joint with a 5-760x (2011 was the last year of that part number if I'm remembering right) and it's eliminated that little shake.

TLDR, check your u-joints, they may be bad.

Quick Reply: Shaking/vibration after 45 mph..NOT A DEATH WOBBLE