Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Severe clunk in steering column/shaft

Old 08-16-2009, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe clunk in steering column/shaft

I've developed a severe clunk in my steering column. It binds up and pops when turning left and then pops when straighting back out. It doesn't seem to do it when turning right from center. It doesn't seem to have excess slope in the system but something ain't right. Any thoughts? Would greasing the boot on the intermediate shaft cure this?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Default Clunk

Originally Posted by SofaRider
I've developed a severe clunk in my steering column. It binds up and pops when turning left and then pops when straighting back out. It doesn't seem to do it when turning right from center. It doesn't seem to have excess slope in the system but something ain't right. Any thoughts? Would greasing the boot on the intermediate shaft cure this?
That really sounds like something in the steering box or hopefully something easier and a loose bracket, I doubt it would be the shaft unless it is catching on something some how, mine had a problem but it was just the poly bushing on the shaft that some how fell out and it would clunk when I hit bumps, hope that helps!
Old 08-16-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

My first thought would be a banged up steering stabilizer, though I don't know that you would feel that up through the column.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Pop the hood and grab your steering column and give it a good shake. If there is rotational play it's probably your box, if there is vertical/horizontal play check to make sure the boot surrounding the shaft hasn't worked itself out from the firewall. If it has you cantry an slide it back up and use a hose clamp to keep it in place.

Quick Reply: Severe clunk in steering column/shaft