Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Settings for oil change?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for info fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I have 16000 miles on my 2013 wrangler and the change oil light still has not come on. I know I don't have any faith in it lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
That's how mine is. I've got a 2012 with 34,000 on it and the oil change light has only come on 3 times. That's a little over 10k an oil change. On regular Dino oil, I couldn't bring myself to do that. I would feel like my engine is grinding apart lol. I changed my oils every 5k and just let the light go off whenever to see how long it would take.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 16000 miles on my 2013 wrangler and the change oil light still has not come on. I know I don't have any faith in it lol

Ha, that is an awful long interval. You might want to ask the dealer about it.

It's possible, I suppose, if you drive a lot of long gentle highway trips and are just (unbelievably) easy on the oil. A bit hard to believe though, right?!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redman333

That's how mine is. I've got a 2012 with 34,000 on it and the oil change light has only come on 3 times. That's a little over 10k an oil change. On regular Dino oil, I couldn't bring myself to do that. I would feel like my engine is grinding apart lol. I changed my oils every 5k and just let the light go off whenever to see how long it would take.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Of course, follow the warranty requirements, but with a top quality dino oil and the right driving conditions, a 10,000 mile drain interval isn't unbelievable. With a top synthetic it would be expected. And after years of the 3000 mile limit drilled into our heads, it's easy to raise an eyebrow at such long intervals.

But it's true that mileage is a terrible indicator of oil life. There are so any other more indicative parameters to consider. Heck, just engine hours alone would be as good or better than relying on mileage.

The algorithms for OCIs are getting more sophisticated but the bottom line is every driver and vehicle is different. The only real way to know is a used oil analysis.

Like they say, it's cheap insurance to just change it. Better early than late.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet
Ha, that is an awful long interval. You might want to ask the dealer about it.

It's possible, I suppose, if you drive a lot of long gentle highway trips and are just (unbelievably) easy on the oil. A bit hard to believe though, right?!
Most of my miles are at 75-80mph. I have also wheeled in moab when it was over 100f so like I said I have no faith in it. I change 4000-5000 miles.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind the 2013 owner's manual does state to change your oil every 10,000 miles even if the indicator has not come on.

This topic is always a tough one. As others have stated for years we were always told 3,000 or every 3 months. What we have learned over the years is that isn't always true. Even dino oil has come a long way and so has engine management. It is a tough habit to break even dealerships will tell you to always change it at 3,000 miles on a car they sold you that tells you to change it every 6,000 miles. The way I look at it, if I follow the factory recommended oil change intervals, then they will uphold the warranty if something goes wrong as a result. For the 2013 JK, it says change the oil within 500 miles of the indicator but don't go over 10,000 miles. That is what I am going to do.

But you can't hurt an engine by changing the oil too much. Just your wallet.

Quick Reply: Settings for oil change?