Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Settings for oil change?

Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Settings for oil change?

Does anyone know if there are different settings for when your computer dings its time for an oil change? Mine always goes off around 2k miles. And yes I know about oil consumption issues. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No settings. It computes the interval by engine temps, driving distance, engine cycles, etc.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bullbray
Does anyone know if there are different settings for when your computer dings its time for an oil change? Mine always goes off around 2k miles. And yes I know about oil consumption issues. Any help is appreciated.

You probably do a lot of very short trips.

As above, the OCI computes a bunch parameters including time at operating temp, RPMs, load, throttle positions, ambient temps, many more.

If you don't get the engine good and hot once in a while the condensation accumulates, turns to acid, and beats up the oil.

You can send a sample to be analyzed (Blackstone Labs) to see if your OCI is too conservative for your actual oil.

Or just use the cheapest oil on sale and keep changing it.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I only drive 2.5 miles back and forth to work, your probably right, thanks for info.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet

You probably do a lot of very short trips.

As above, the OCI computes a bunch parameters including time at operating temp, RPMs, load, throttle positions, ambient temps, many more.

If you don't get the engine good and hot once in a while the condensation accumulates, turns to acid, and beats up the oil.

You can send a sample to be analyzed (Blackstone Labs) to see if your OCI is too conservative for your actual oil.

Or just use the cheapest oil on sale and keep changing it.
So I guess if that's the case with the short trips and its telling me to change it, I do need to change it and not ignore it for another 1k miles?

Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Listen to ur car lol

Sent from my Obama phone using JK-Forum
Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

So I guess if that's the case with the short trips and its telling me to change it, I do need to change it and not ignore it for another 1k miles?

I'd ignore it. Oil change indicators are about as reliable as clocks were in cars back in the 60s (and if you don't remember that, they didn't work, it they did work they were only right twice a day). Honest, we've been driving vehicles for trillions of miles without an oil change indicator. Follow the advice of the petroleum engineers and your warranty as for how often to change the oil. If the stupid light comes on, turn it off (stand on your head singing "Mary Has a Little Lamb" or some nonsense). Do I sound cynical? Yes, I am. They want to put an engine oil analysis in the vehicle, fine. But, they just want to do some stupid calculations without taking into account even whether you used a higher quality oil--what a bunch of bull.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's not going to hurt if u change ur oil more

Sent from my Obama phone using JK-Forum
Old 08-22-2013, 05:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the manual says change it within 500 miles of the warning. It's pretty conservative and is designed for conventional oil. So you're probably a good candidate for the 3000 mile change if your using a decent (cheap) conventional oil.

If your using the high end stuff (like a big name brand synthetic) then you can go longer, no worries.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have 16000 miles on my 2013 wrangler and the change oil light still has not come on. I know I don't have any faith in it lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply: Settings for oil change?