Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Service Manual on CD - printing

Old 05-30-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Are you running IE7?

~curious if they fixed that yet.
I have the '08 SM on CD. It works under Vista and IE7. It does not work under Firefox.

Addendum: Once I start the service manual, IE7 warns about blocking active content that could harm my computer. I have to click on the warning and select allowed block content to actually get it to run.

-Glen

Last edited by bikerglen; 05-30-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Even the dealers don't have the manuals anymore .Everything is in computer or on Chryslers dealer connect web site.
For the last 6 years or so the techs just print out what they need or we have lap tops on the tool boxes believe it or not, it's easier then having 3 or 4 different books
Old 05-30-2008, 12:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jelvis
Even the dealers don't have the manuals anymore .Everything is in computer or on Chryslers dealer connect web site.
For the last 6 years or so the techs just print out what they need or we have lap tops on the tool boxes believe it or not, it's easier then having 3 or 4 different books
The manuals in the Air Force for working on airplanes are all going digital, too.
That's fine and dandy until a laptop slides off a wing or workstand. In a military environment I prefer the good old fashioned "hard copy" over the new "hard drive".
Old 05-30-2008, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bikerglen
I have the '08 SM on CD. It works under Vista and IE7. It does not work under Firefox.

Addendum: Once I start the service manual, IE7 warns about blocking active content that could harm my computer. I have to click on the warning and select allowed block content to actually get it to run.

-Glen
Good to hear. Are you able to use IE7 to search the manual?
Old 05-30-2008, 12:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith615
The consensus is no. I have been running mine in IE7. I have found no search function.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Nope. The IE7 search option only finds stuff on the current page. It won't search the entire collection of XML files.

Vista could probably be made to index the XML files, but once you found the XML file containing the search terms, getting it to display properly would be the problem.

The hierarchical, drill-down system they have works very well. They at least do hyper link to any steps that are required to perform the current procedure, but aren't included on the procedure's page.

-Glen
Old 05-30-2008, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The manuals in the Air Force for working on airplanes are all going digital, too.
That's fine and dandy until a laptop slides off a wing or workstand. In a military environment I prefer the good old fashioned "hard copy" over the new "hard drive".
Books do have their place, for sure.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:18 PM
JK Super Freak

I’m using IE 7 on XP too - no problems (except the Active-X thingie as already discussed).

It’s not just xml files - if fact the .xml files don’t have much in them at all. It’s almost 15,000 files of various types scattered among 32 directories. The only way a search function would work is if the SVG Viewer (made by Adobe) supported it. I’m using the one that was already on my computer. Maybe there’s a version that has a search capability. I haven’t looked.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bikerglen
Nope. The IE7 search option only finds stuff on the current page. It won't search the entire collection of XML files.

Vista could probably be made to index the XML files, but once you found the XML file containing the search terms, getting it to display properly would be the problem.

The hierarchical, drill-down system they have works very well. They at least do hyper link to any steps that are required to perform the current procedure, but aren't included on the procedure's page.

-Glen
That doesn' sound that bad. I may move it back to the top of my wish list. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

That doesn' sound that bad. I may move it back to the top of my wish list. Thanks for the info.
My JK is the first vehicle I've purchased a factory service manual for. I'm really impressed at the level of detail. Much, much better than the typical 3rd party service guide.

Quick Reply: Service Manual on CD - printing