Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Service Intervals?

Old 04-14-2014, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer says wait for the light to come on.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 2yellowlabs
Dealer says wait for the light to come on.
My dealer told me I had to do oil changes every 3000 miles or 6 months whichever is sooner. Ridiculous. I do it myself every 5000 miles but I know it could go longer. I do 5000 miles cause it's easy to remember.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
So the question is, can you do the items on the list? If you can, you'll save almost all of the $400 they want.
There is no reason to have them change the diff oil. It's way too early for that, as requirements go.
I would do it myself at a fraction of the cost, just to get the oil out that was in there during break-in, and start with fresh oil for the next 30,000 miles, or more.
From the sounds of it, I should be able to change the diff fluids no problem. I'll still have them do the basic inspection that comes with the oil change, just because it's cheaper than my time, but the additional cost of them changing the diff fluid is definitely worth me getting under the jeep on a saturday. Thanks for all your replies, i feel a lot better about this decision now.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Hail2theSkins
From the sounds of it, I should be able to change the diff fluids no problem. I'll still have them do the basic inspection that comes with the oil change, just because it's cheaper than my time, but the additional cost of them changing the diff fluid is definitely worth me getting under the jeep on a saturday. Thanks for all your replies, i feel a lot better about this decision now.
Buy the cheap pump that screws on to the top of the diff oil container. The worst part of the job is getting the thick oil into the fill hole. I use a pump I got at harbor freight for about $8. Jeep recommends synthetic if you are towing anything. Also a thicker viscosity in the rear if you are towing.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals?