Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Service Intervals?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Intervals?

I got the call from my dealership where I bought my jeep, and they said it's time for my 12000 mile service. I'm told this is going to run about $400, and it seems to me that it's a basic oil change and checkup, with the addition of "service from and rear differential" and "Transfer case service". This jeep is only a year old, no offroading except for pretty basic stuff for camping. This seems like a lot of money, for what's essentially a new car still. The user guide that came with the jeep doesn't have any services listed before 20k miles. I don't have a problem doing the service if it's needed, but it seems to me like the dealer is trying to take advantage and do this service too early. They also recommend doing the same service at 24k miles. If I choose not to do this, can they void my warranty? I've never had a new vehicle from a dealer, so this is all new to me.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed because mine has about 5000 miles and I will need to know the answers to these questions.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

The dealer cannot make you do service any earlier than the manufacturer recommends. The dealer also cannot void your warranty if you don't go with their service recommendation.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ScruffyRubicon
The dealer cannot make you do service any earlier than the manufacturer recommends. The dealer also cannot void your warranty if you don't go with their service recommendation.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. The earliest service listed in the manual is at 20k miles, 12k just seems too soon. The price also seems pretty high for what they're doing.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some dealers will try and get you in earlier for their benefit.

As far as price, that really isn't terrible for getting all of those items serviced at the dealer.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

This is what is in your 2013 owner's manual for what's required before the first 20,000 miles. (The other scheduled tasks are set at every 20,000 miles or every 2 years.)

At Every Oil Change Interval As Indicated By Oil
Change Indicator System:
• Change oil and filter NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months,
whichever comes first.
• Rotate the tires. Rotate at the first sign of irregular
wear, even if it occurs before the oil indicator
system turns on.
• Inspect battery and clean and tighten terminals as
required
• Inspect automatic transmission fluid if equipped
with dipstick
• Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, hoses
and park brake
• Inspect engine cooling system protection and hoses
• Inspect exhaust system
• Inspect engine air cleaner if using in dusty or
off-road conditions
• Inspect all door latches for presence of grease,
reapply if necessary.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This is what is in your 2013 owner's manual for what's required before the first 20,000 miles. (The other scheduled tasks are set at every 20,000 miles or every 2 years.)

At Every Oil Change Interval As Indicated By Oil
Change Indicator System:
• Change oil and filter NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months,
whichever comes first.
• Rotate the tires. Rotate at the first sign of irregular
wear, even if it occurs before the oil indicator
system turns on.
• Inspect battery and clean and tighten terminals as
required
• Inspect automatic transmission fluid if equipped
with dipstick
• Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, hoses
and park brake
• Inspect engine cooling system protection and hoses
• Inspect exhaust system
• Inspect engine air cleaner if using in dusty or
off-road conditions
• Inspect all door latches for presence of grease,
reapply if necessary.

This is pretty much what's included in their standard checkups and oil changes, so I'm just going to have this done. I'm just going to follow the recommendations of the owner's manual, not the dealer.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Bunch of threads on here about diff fluid changes. They are so simple to do. Easier than changing the oil. Dealers rip you off. If they charge an hour labor that's too much. Our diffs have drain plugs.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Almost all dealers of all makes of vehicles try to redefine service intervals. Ignore them. Follow the appropriate schedule in your owners manual.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Hail2theSkins
This is pretty much what's included in their standard checkups and oil changes, so I'm just going to have this done. I'm just going to follow the recommendations of the owner's manual, not the dealer.
So the question is, can you do the items on the list? If you can, you'll save almost all of the $400 they want.
There is no reason to have them change the diff oil. It's way too early for that, as requirements go.
I would do it myself at a fraction of the cost, just to get the oil out that was in there during break-in, and start with fresh oil for the next 30,000 miles, or more.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals?