Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sentry Key

Old 11-10-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sentry Key

Anyone ever have one of their keys just quit and trigger the Immobilizer System? Last night, my key unlocked the doors as usual, then when put in the ignition, the Jeep would not start. The Sentry Key/Security Alarm Indicator light came on, and eventually the alarm went off and I had to disconnect the batter to get it all off. A friend gave me lift to a store, purchased a new battery, but still nothing. Ended up having to have my wife come bring the spare key, which worked and got me home. Can these keys just lose their transponder programming? I would have expected the new battery to fix the key. Tell me I don’t have to have the dealership charge me a small fortune for this…. I have a 2008 JKU Auto.
Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Damn that sucks. I've never had that happen to me with my JK. But with my liberty I got a key from the dealership that wasnt programmed and didn't know about that system.

Did you get your keys wet or something?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Jedi

This happened to me and a new key plus flash was 250. It is not covered under warrenty.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

This happened to me. But my dealer just reflashed the key and has worked since.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the information. I'll let you know how this turns out.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Happen to me last weekend about 30 miles from home. Had to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes then everything worked. I think it gets confused sometimes. Second time it has happen to me in the last year. First time I was at home and just reprogrammed both keys.

Quick Reply: Sentry Key