Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

security upgrades?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sensor I used was the DEI model 508D. You can find one on ebay for around 30 bucks. It is a dual stage, but I only have the interior sensor hooked up. I found a trigger wire in the wiring harness for the door. Hooked the trigger to that, the power wire to the ignition on a toggle switch mounted by the steering column, and grounded it just under where the door harness hooks in. The trigger wire is the solid purple one. I mounted the sensor inside the center console so that it would be in a good central location, and I would have easy access to change the sensitivity if need be. My best security upgrade has been a driveway alert system. I've ran 2 people out of my driveway late at night thanks to it.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow i'm lucky i don't have that system. None of my previous cars had it so i'm still used to checking them often.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ward adams
wheel locks, locking fuel door, the club, and a hood lock.
Agreed:
I have OEM Wheel locks (set of 5, 1 for the spare)

Rugged Ridge Hood lock, which wasn't supposed to require drilling, but I had to relocate the lock about an inch from the stock holes but it does the job.

Gas Lock pretty stock basic type from any auto store. It has no lanyard so I keep the key in until I start the car so I don't forget it.

No club I have the alarm which is a starter kill.

lastly, I added a "Door Theft Prevention Kit Jeep Wrangler JK 07-09" from ebay,. they are stainless steel bolts that have very uniquely keyed heads (it comes with the special tool) that go in the door bolts to block a Torx bit from getting in there. Kinda cool that the doors bolt hole is threaded. The keyed head on the bolt is a 5 star pattern similar to a torx with an index pin just offset in the center, the tool only fits in 1 way.

A 95lb Saint Bernard/English Setter mix in the back is a good deterrent too!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Tuffy - they're a sponsor here and have some great stuff. I have the glovebox, Flip-n-Lock (locking stereo cover) center console and secutiry deck - all great products.

I really like that sticker though - where can I get one?

Steve
Old 10-08-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leros
i added this. not sure if it counts.

Gotta get that sticker....

I've added Ravelco immobilizer, steel gear box bolted to trunk floor, locking gas cap and gorilla wheel studs. No point making it easy for the scum.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKAdam
The sensor I used was the DEI model 508D. You can find one on ebay for around 30 bucks. It is a dual stage, but I only have the interior sensor hooked up. I found a trigger wire in the wiring harness for the door. Hooked the trigger to that, the power wire to the ignition on a toggle switch mounted by the steering column, and grounded it just under where the door harness hooks in. The trigger wire is the solid purple one. I mounted the sensor inside the center console so that it would be in a good central location, and I would have easy access to change the sensitivity if need be. My best security upgrade has been a driveway alert system. I've ran 2 people out of my driveway late at night thanks to it.
That's a great idea - much cheaper option than picking up a 5901... Which wire did you splice into for the door trigger? You don't have any pictures do you?
That would make a good project posting.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deaconbest
That's a great idea - much cheaper option than picking up a 5901... Which wire did you splice into for the door trigger? You don't have any pictures do you?
That would make a good project posting.
The trigger wire is the solid purple one. I didn't think to take any pics.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKAdam
Is this connected directly to the factory alarm module?
If you arm or disarm your alarm, does it disable this as well?
Or is that the purpose of the switch in the dash?

I want something as simple as possible to install.

Thanks!!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07RedX
Is this connected directly to the factory alarm module?
If you arm or disarm your alarm, does it disable this as well?
Or is that the purpose of the switch in the dash?

I want something as simple as possible to install.

Thanks!!
I use the switch on the dash to arm the sensor separately. I imagine it could be wired in to arm and disarm with the factory alarm though.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leros
i added this. not sure if it counts.

Trying to figure out where to put this on my Jeep, great sticker.

Quick Reply: security upgrades?