Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

screwed again, literally

Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure this isn't what you want to do, but that happened to me once and I screwed it in the rest of the way then globbed gurilla glue around it. I didn't have a to do ANYTHING with it for a year!!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two Words of Wisdom

Discount Tire

Go there. Buy road hazard warranty from them. If you pick up a screw (like that one) they'll repair it for FREE. They can repair it twice. After that you get a FREE tire. You will have to pay for the new road hazard warranty for the new tire though. And what if you pick up a screw in the shoulder or sidewall and the tire cannot be repaired. They replace it for FREE.

I have bought the road hazard warranty for the tires on my last eight vehicles. I have replaced at least one tire on all but my most recent two vehicles. Once you replace one tire, you will have paid for the warranty.

That is my suggestion.

Edit: One of my vehicles (actually my wife's) was a 2004 Toyota Sienna. We replaced three tires on that vehicle with the warranty. Those tires were in the price range of $150-$175 each. I think the warranty per tire was like $15 each.

Last edited by Hook-Em; 01-11-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Don't be afraid of a tire that is patched from the inside...good as new...and don't require any special treatment. Relegating it to the spare takes away its self esteem.
Agreed, Get it patched and it's as good as new. It does suck to get a flat when you just got them. A plug would probably hold too but getting it patched is the best thing you can do. You will not have any problems with a patch that is installed correctly.

Plugs are not recommended for large trucks or trailer tires that are going to be carrying a lot of weight. Load range E tires with 80PSI and a load on them will just blow the plug right out. A patch is the only way to fix them correctly.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Heh - same thing happened to me. I just bought a brand new set of MTR's 1 day old and I picked up about a 7"x 1" spike. Tire was flat in about 10 seconds, I couldn't believe it I was so pissed.

No warranty on the tire had to replace it.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know what to tell you. However, that is a great picture.
I might just make that my background on my work computer.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

My local tire shop (Les Schwab) does dismount patches for free...probably helps I've bought 2 sets of MT's from them over the years. Give whoever you bought the tires from a call, they'll probably patch it for free.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Many states don't allow tire shops to plug. Only a patch from the inside is allowed in MA and ME

Quick Reply: screwed again, literally