Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Scratchy Plastic Reply from DC....

Old 01-25-2007, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bkiehn
Should you have any questions about my progress, or if you would like to fix the problem yourself, then please free to contact my neighbor's dog, as he will be able to provide the assistance that you are looking for.

I nearly sh!t myself when I read that... too damn funny.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default Well..

We Shall All Ask For A Nice" Woody Dash."....
Old 01-25-2007, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could someone do me a favor and possibly post up a few pictures of the scratched plasic and describe a little more specifically where the location of the scratch prone areas are? I would really appreciate it. Sorry to brake the chain of jokes

Living Still
Old 01-25-2007, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PBR_Stitch
I was just thinking they could have used the plastic from the head rests....

Ron

Hah, now THAT's a mod.

~chewy
Old 01-25-2007, 10:46 PM
JK Freak

Default Dear Cynthia

Dear Cynthia,
I'm a Proctologist and enjoy a growing practice here in Seattle. I recently have seen a flury of new business which had I and my office staff all scratching our heads. We noticed -when reviewing their charts most of our new patients had indicated their hobbies included "Jeeping". Evidently all of these guys are new owners of your new JK model. Some own 2 door models others own 4 door Unlimiteds -we even had one poor soul who came in that owned a 2 wheel drive JK. To be specific and the reason for my letter- these gentlemen are suffering from inflamed rectums brought on by the smoke you've been blowing up their ass in response to their complaints over a too soft plastic material used in the construction on the interior of their aforementioned JK's. I'm a doctor not a politician here's my response: Get real. Please give these gentlemen a real world answer in plain English, with a quick path of resolution. This will help to restore their faith in your fine company and get them down the trail to enjoy their vehicles. I'll make a deal with you: You deal with the Jeeps and I'll deal with the assholes.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biglynny
Dear Cynthia,
I'm a Proctologist and enjoy a growing practice here in Seattle. I recently have seen a flury of new business which had I and my office staff all scratching our heads. We noticed -when reviewing their charts most of our new patients had indicated their hobbies included "Jeeping". Evidently all of these guys are new owners of your new JK model. Some own 2 door models others own 4 door Unlimiteds -we even had one poor soul who came in that owned a 2 wheel drive JK. To be specific and the reason for my letter- these gentlemen are suffering from inflamed rectums brought on by the smoke you've been blowing up their ass in response to their complaints over a too soft plastic material used in the construction on the interior of their aforementioned JK's. I'm a doctor not a politician here's my response: Get real. Please give these gentlemen a real world answer in plain English, with a quick path of resolution. This will help to restore their faith in your fine company and get them down the trail to enjoy their vehicles. I'll make a deal with you: You deal with the Jeeps and I'll deal with the assholes.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I particularly like the last part of this where they basically tell you to get the Service Manual and fix it yourself. Stop bothering us. That is true customer service.

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide technical assistance for the
concern you described. You might wish to contact your local Jeep
dealership for further assistance, or you may refer to the vehicle's
Service Manual.

Service Manuals provide all the information technicians need to
diagnose, troubleshoot, maintain, service and repair DaimlerChrysler
vehicles. You can visit Tech Authority for Service Manuals at
http//:www.techauthority.daimlerchrysler.com or you may obtain one by
calling 1-800-890-4038 or 1-800-348-4696.

Thank you again for your email.

Sincerely,

Sheila

Senior Staff Representative
Chrysler Group Customer Assistance Center

For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the
following information:
REFERENCE NUMBER: 15888399
EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 1650307
REPLY LINK: http://www.chrysler.com/wccs/brand_f...540I25261L0KM&
Old 01-26-2007, 03:24 AM
JK Junkie

Hey Folks -

My JK is slated to be built 1/31, and I can't wait. Having said that, I'm a bit concerned about this plastic issue (not enough to cancel my order, of course, but you all understand).

I've been following this thread, and share the curiosity of some of the other posters - can you describe the issue in greater detail, and possibly showcase a pic or two?

Are we talking about butter-soft plastic that loses its shape if you look at it the wrong way, or do you actually have to make some moderately hard impact with the plastic to scratch it? Is this the kind of issue that a healthy dose of Armor-All or such would help to guard against, or do we all have to order Mopar "applique" kits (possibly engineered / manufactured that way on purpose?)

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

To me it seems that it never fully cured, or was shorted a hardening agent when molded. Most plastics have a hard flashed surface, this stuff is way to easy to scratch. If you have any fingernails at all and reach for a knob or handle and scratch across adjacent plastic, you are probably going to scratch it. If your passenger uses the grab handle on the dash, you are going to have scratches on the dash behind it. I have considered taking a small interior part off and trying to do a post cure in the oven with it and see if it will harden it up some. There should be a plastics Engineer lurking around here somewhere that could shed some light on this....I hope. I don't think DC is going to help on this.
Jim
Old 01-26-2007, 03:35 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Hey Folks -

My JK is slated to be built 1/31, and I can't wait. Having said that, I'm a bit concerned about this plastic issue (not enough to cancel my order, of course, but you all understand).

I've been following this thread, and share the curiosity of some of the other posters - can you describe the issue in greater detail, and possibly showcase a pic or two?

Are we talking about butter-soft plastic that loses its shape if you look at it the wrong way, or do you actually have to make some moderately hard impact with the plastic to scratch it? Is this the kind of issue that a healthy dose of Armor-All or such would help to guard against, or do we all have to order Mopar "applique" kits (possibly engineered / manufactured that way on purpose?)

Thanks in advance for the info.

Any of the "textured" surfaces scratch/mar from just running your fingernail across them. The rest isnt much better. Simply Vaccuming the thing out and hitting it with the nozzle permanently scratches it. It CANNOT be fixed with a coating of armor all.

This textured type plastic is on top of the center console where your elbow rests, on the top of the guage cluster, the horn button, the glove box/passenger airbag cover.
The doors around the handle are all marred up on mine (God forbid you wear anything like say... a wedding ring? Kiss your plastic goodbye) The area around the cup holders...

Just about every wear-prone area there is with the exception of the stuff at the base of the door jams which seems very durable so far.

Quick Reply: Scratchy Plastic Reply from DC....