Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Scrap rear diff

Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrap rear diff

Hi boys, scrap rear diff. Broken a gear and when opened the oil was almost gone but no leak!!!!! The mecanic says that its my fault because of the wear off of my front tires compare to my rears. He said that the difference was in between 1/8 and 3/16 and that was the cause!!!!

Inputs plz
Old 10-26-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Useful inputs for my Jk
Old 10-26-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nah it was obviously the JK sticker on your rear bumper that added too much weight... Tell that tool to get bent, then find a non-crooked mech.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Has nothing to do with your front to rear tire ratio unless you are driving around on dry pavement in 4wd all the time. Find a different mechanic!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:08 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by nimerod
Hi boys, scrap rear diff. Broken a gear and when opened the oil was almost gone but no leak!!!!! The mecanic says that its my fault because of the wear off of my front tires compare to my rears. He said that the difference was in between 1/8 and 3/16 and that was the cause!!!!

Inputs plz
Different tire diameters between front and rear is only a factor with 4WD engaged. And, with 4WD on non-pavement, that small amount of difference is perfectly OK.

There has to be an oil leak somewhere, or it came that way from the factory
Old 10-27-2012, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys! Yess the got to get rid if that sticker fast
Old 10-27-2012, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Tell the silly b@^%$r to get bent, and find a new mechanic fast! What year is it? That should be warrantied if its in mileage/year time!!! Bring it out to B.C., and we'll find you a decently priced fix!!
What sort of wheeling do you get in La Belle Province? Here on the pacific coast we have a lot of steep switchback trails, rocks, water when it rains--which is 9 months of the year, and LOGS!/Stumps! Some mud, too, but very little level ground! Vive le Quebec mon ami!!

Quick Reply: Scrap rear diff