Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sap From Trees

Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sap From Trees

Hey I park my Jeep in the driveway and there is no other place to park it and it is completely covered with trees and I know that sap on car paint is bad. So how often should I clean my Jeep to make sure the paint stays good? I usually clean it every month to the month and a half and its a Deep Water Blue JK.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Well here are a couple of tips that I hope will help you, and others.

A good hand wash with a mit and some good car wash soap will cut the sap. If you have some old crusted on sap and its real stubborn, isopropyl rubbing alcohol will cut it with ease! After you have it all off and nice and clean and shiny. Be sure to add a good coat of wax. Any good carnuba wax will do. IMO a carnuba wax, is a carnuba wax is a carnuba wax. You dont need to spend a lot on some fancy name, just some type of carnuba. Wax's will only really last for 30 days, and the process should be repeated monthly.

The wax will help a little bit for making it easier to remove the future tree sap, and to help protect the finish.

HTH

Good luck
Old 08-17-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just adding my 2 cents - I tend to use WD-40 on the tree sap from the pines in my driveway. Works well, does not discolor the paint or finish.
Hope this helps.
Tim
Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I mean wash with soap and water not wax. I've never waxed the Jeep before I'll start doing it though to give it that extra layer. Is there anything I should do if sap gets on the soft windows? I always hand wash cause I don't get why people get their Jeeps cleaned by people when it only takes 10 minutes with a crew of 4 sons haha.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tend to wash my jeep only every 2 to 3 months. unless i see something on it that needs to be washed off. i do hose the dust of daily. where i park my jeep for work i get sap and bird crap on it. alot of times on the way to work i seem to get tar also. regular soap just dont cut it for me. I wait until its cool an spray it down with simple green scrub & and rinse. then i go over it with wash and wax. I try to do a carnuba wax twice a year.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matt852
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I mean wash with soap and water not wax. I've never waxed the Jeep before I'll start doing it though to give it that extra layer. Is there anything I should do if sap gets on the soft windows? I always hand wash cause I don't get why people get their Jeeps cleaned by people when it only takes 10 minutes with a crew of 4 sons haha.
If you havn't waxed it before, you may want to go over it with a good claybar prior to waxing.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks Lorrel I will do that whats a good wax you guys recommend?

Quick Reply: Sap From Trees