Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Saharas

Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saharas

May be a dumb question but I was just wondering what makes a jeep a sahara? Is it just the fully loaded and painted fenders?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep. It's an option package that includes certain features as standard (well, standard as far as you pay for them when you get the Sahara package). It is not fully loaded as there are still some options that you can add to the Sahara.

The painted fender flares are part of the Sahara package and available only with a Sahara from the factory. Some would argue that the painted fenders a a waste, but I like them. If you are a wheeler and plan on getting out and doing any hard core off roading you might agree with the painted flare haters.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Love my Sahara.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted the factory remote start mainly, for 2008 it was only a factory upgrade to the Sahara. Also I liked the silver trim on the instrument panel, steering wheel, and bumpers. I also liked the 18" rims. An upgrade was the YES Essential seats, I did not really care at the time, but they are comfortable.I belive that that was a Sahara option only.

I pretty much removed the red flare, changed the ties and rims, and replaced the bumpers. but I still have my remote start
Old 10-26-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Freak

X2 on loving Sahara ( even though I want the Smittybilt fenders )Click image for larger version

Name:	Cell phone pics 013 (2).jpg
Views:	345
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	98378
Old 10-26-2010, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Yup must agree I to Love my Sahara

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Hella 500 lights on Front Bumper 1.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	98439

Last edited by gadget799; 10-27-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

So just another question on the Sahara specs; are you guys saying that apart from the painted flares, Rubi-style dash (silver around the gauges) and different bumpers, the Sahara in base form is just like a bare-bones X however you can add options to it that you cannot to an X?

Sorry if it's a dumb question; where I am, the RHD export JKs come in either Sport or Rubicon.

There's no bare-bone X available (ie vinyl seats, manual windows, etc) or a variant with painted flares like the Sahara. Our Sport I guess then is like a fully loaded X (power windows/door locks, cloth seats, leather steering wheel, aircon, full console, etc) with plain black gauge surrounds and unpainted flares, while the Rubicon has all that stuff plus the lockers, lower gearing in diff & transfer case, electric sway disconnects, etc just like in the 'States. The only real options we have to choose from are the duel tops (hardtop/sunrider) and the tow pack (and sometimes, when offered, appearance packages with extra stuff like gas cap covers and bling/offroad bumpers). OK, and of course the CRD motor but the stupid thing about that is that it's not available with the Rubicon where it would really kick ass offroad, only with the softer Sport; go figure.

It would actually be kinda nice to be able to get a bare-bones X for 20 grand like you can in the 'States and then add only the stuff to it you want or keep it bare-bones and spend your options money on wheels, tires, lift and other worthwhile mods instead, rather than having to pay 10 grand more like we do for the Sport with all the options thrown in.

Last edited by JKlad; 10-27-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Personally, I love my Unlimited Sahara.

For 2011 (and I think 2010) the "Sport" has replaced the "X" as the base model, so there's no such thing as an "X" anymore. The Sport is available as a base model or a slightly upgraded "Sport S" model (sort of half-way between bare bones and the Sahara)

The differences between a Sport and a Sahara are the following options are standard on the Sahara:
Note: This list is based on a Canadian build. It may vary slightly by your location. Check the brochures.
*Fender flares - Body color
*Deep tint glass
*Heated exterior power mirrors (new in 2011)
*Tubular side steps
*Hardtop is standard, dual top is optional (Canada. Soft-top is standard in US)
*Tires - Bridgestone Duelers P255/70R18
*Rims - 18" Gladiator, painted satin silver
*Air Conditioning
*Power door locks, remote entry
*115v Auxillary power outlet
*Infinity speakers/subwoofer
*power windows
*rear defrost
*Suspension - Heavy Duty
(Don't ask me what the specific differences are between the Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon suspensions...)

The Sahara also has a few options that aren't available to the Sport or Sport S, but I'm not going to get into listing them.

It all really comes down to personal choice and budget. Get whatever Jeep you think you'll enjoy the most! Don't listen when people say, "Dude, you should have got a ****** instead!"

edit:
-Added a location note
-Added the note about the hard-top being standard in Canada. Apparently the soft-top is standard in the US.

Last edited by CdnJeepDan; 10-28-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Default I love my Sahara too

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep..jpg
Views:	227
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	98431  
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast