Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sahara Fender Swap (hate painted fenders)

Old 12-15-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sahara Fender Swap (hate painted fenders)

My son drives a blacked out 2 door 2010 rubicon and now my wife wants an unlimited. She likes the cherry red but hates the painted fenders (painted top is not even an option to consider) but wants all of the interior options. The Rubicon options would be waste because it will not be used. I am thinking about a sahara and swapping the fenders (I can keep the old ones in case we sell it). We had to replace one of my sons and the rubicon fenders are not that expensive (especially compared to the painted ones). I know this seems stupid but I agree with her on the looks. To bad you cannot get the black fenders as an option. Has anyone done this??
Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

I bet if the dealer wants you to buy the Jeep, they'll swap 'em. Then again.... Good luck!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Lots of threads on this. Watch the for sale section and your local Craigslist for take-offs from guys that go to aftermarket flat flares. You can usually find a full set for $50-$100, sometimes for free.

The swap is fairly easy, but plan on snapping a few of the clips. (go to a site like clipsandfasteners.com for replacements, not the dealership).
Old 12-15-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Of you can get the dealer to do it. O have done 3 fenders and It's still a pain.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deltadust
My son drives a blacked out 2 door 2010 rubicon and now my wife wants an unlimited. She likes the cherry red but hates the painted fenders (painted top is not even an option to consider) but wants all of the interior options. The Rubicon options would be waste because it will not be used. I am thinking about a sahara and swapping the fenders (I can keep the old ones in case we sell it). We had to replace one of my sons and the rubicon fenders are not that expensive (especially compared to the painted ones). I know this seems stupid but I agree with her on the looks. To bad you cannot get the black fenders as an option. Has anyone done this??
I wish you were closer to Dallas... I bought a 2012 Cherry Red Rubi and wanted the painted fenders and the black top but you can only get the painted fenders if you get the painted top which I did not want... So I have black fenders and a black top on my Cherry Red Rubi.... I would love to trade with you.....
Old 12-20-2011, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem with my Sahara. I got the painted fenders lineX for 200. Was cheaper than replacements and looks better IMHO than the stock black plastic. Just another idea for you to think about.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would figure you could special order one like that?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would figure you could special order one like that?
How about painting the fenders yourself? Then all it costs is the rattle can(s) and replacing any of the plastic fasteners that do not survive the removal.

Quick Reply: Sahara Fender Swap (hate painted fenders)