Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is a Sahara any better than a base model?

Old 10-02-2008, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I read this post, I'm going to be getting a X, Not concerned about the power windows and locks. Will be upgrading tires and stuff anyways.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by db99wj
My first Jeep was an 89 YJ, 258 cu in, I-6, 5.2L carburetor! Oh, and 31's rubbed with 2" lift. These things seem to be very capable out of the box.
258 cu in is not the same as 5.2L 5.0 is 302 inches .2 is about 12 cu in.
258 cu in is about 4.4 liters!!!! Any more mistaken ideas u have about displacement?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubidon

Jealous

Nope Not in the slightest.

Your the one who should be jealous. I got exactly the jeep I wanted and I paid less....
Old 10-02-2008, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Denny2565
The OP was just asking the differences between an X and Sahara. But it got away from that and now it's turning into a Sahara hate-fest. It's not just this thread either, the same viewpoint has been expressed in several other threads too. Here's pretty much the general consensus:
Rubicon=Big brother
X=Little brother
Sahara=Red-headed step-brother
For me, my jeep is my DD first and light to moderate off-roading second. I looked at the X's, but the one's on the lot didn't have the options I wanted and I didn't want to wait six months for a special order. Besides, by the time I optioned out a special order X, it was approaching the cost of a Sahara off the lot anyway. JK owners are already the outsiders of jeep world, don't make it worse by turning on each other.
Denny
Valid point: availability on the lot when youre looking. As yourself, I took what best fit my needs based on what was on the lots at the time. BTW, I like your Sahara.
BTW, youll always be my red headed step child.
Just kidding brother.
Had there been Rubis on the lot, I would have bought one. But, there wasnt and I wasnt willing to wait and liked the idea of modding my X.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

How are power windows and lock arent important?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

saves me from having to crank them all down when i hop in, that sounds good to me haha
Old 10-02-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah, I don't have to reach across in the morning to roll down the window just to wipe off the condensation from sitting there over night. If I want to talk to someone on the passenger side I can hit a button, roll down the window. When I got to a car wash hit two buttons, up they go.

Hit another button my jeep is locked/unlocked.

Hit another button, I'm cruising.

Sahara's are kewl.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Yeah, I don't have to reach across in the morning to roll down the window just to wipe off the condensation from sitting there over night. If I want to talk to someone on the passenger side I can hit a button, roll down the window. When I got to a car wash hit two buttons, up they go.

Hit another button my jeep is locked/unlocked.

Hit another button, I'm cruising.

Sahara's are kewl.
Wait a minute.... You mean I have to have a Sahara in order to be able to do the above? That would mean I have a Sahara since I have all of the above....

Nope just checked I have an X. I don't have painted fender flares, but I still have all of those power options..

Maybe my dealer switched the fenders with a Sahara since someone else wanted the painted ones on an X and I specifically told them I didn't want painted flares but would like the power option.

Sorry I just had to...
Old 10-03-2008, 02:16 AM
JK Freak

I had a tough time finding a "c" package X. I just wanted a plain 4 door, 4x4, black or silver Jeep with a hard top and upgraded gears. I even had to add cruise control when I got it. If you don't need all the creature comforts and slighlty bigger wheels/tires then go with a cheaper X. They are just as capable on and off road.. b/c you'll upgrade your tires right away anyways.(don't lie to yourself and tell you that you won't)
Old 10-03-2008, 03:01 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Things I liked about my Sahara(which was on the lot, ready to go) versus waiting to get an X.
  • It was Silver
  • It was a 2dr.
  • I like the painted flares, and I dont give a rats ass if I scratch them, i INTEND on doing so.
  • Decent radio (I am not an audiophile, this thing sounds good enough for me at the sane levels i play it at. I have no need, want, or use for all that other junk)
  • Sirus radio? Nope not in mine. Dont want it, dont need it.
  • Trail NAV? Nope, not in mine. Seriously, if you actually need an offroad GPS on the east coast (US), your retarded. Period. Great thing to have for city/driving directions, but offroad very few places your more than a few miles at best from a highway. So a handheld and the compass on the dash or the one in my pocket and a cheap Rand-Mcnally, and some good old fashioned common sense is far more than adequate, and substantially cheaper.
  • Automatic for the wifey. (i know it comes on the X too, i am specifically talking about my Jeep as it sat on the lot)
  • NO FLIPPEN POWER GROUP. I do NOT like power windows/locks, one more thing to break and i am sick to death of my locks failing in the winter. I had three fords and a Chevy, i had issues with ALL of them with the locks/windows, I specifically went looking for a Jeep without them, If this one would have had them, i would NOT have bought it.
  • YES seats for my dog. I know people like seat covers for this purpose, so does my Lab, she eats them like Dognip, so the YES seats work perfectly for me.
  • I actually LIKE my painted Moab rims, not really in any hurry to swap them out, but i may if something flies off the page at me.
  • Soft top only. Didnt want the dual tops, the others available locally that the dealer would have traded in for me all had some nuance i didnt like. this one had everything i did.
  • $18,263.25 when all was said and done, fees, taxes, tags, etc. The dealer was ready to make a sale on this one, i would have had to wait, and in all likelyhood pay MORE if i had waited on an X, with less of the upgrades that i wanted.
Those where my reasons.

Quick Reply: Is a Sahara any better than a base model?