Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is a Sahara any better than a base model?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like my Yes seats, they clean easily & I have a black lab that likes mud, and thinks neoprene seat covers are made of DogNip.

The baby has dropped i dont know how many bottles of milk and juice on the rear one, Last time i took it out i found a moldy something that had fallen onto the seat and began to take root. I scraped it off, and lightly scrubbed the seat and *poof* no more Gorbachev birthmark. I have removed the whole seat, and blasted it with the garden hose, let it dry and tossed it right back in, looks good as new.

My seats, after two full years, still look factory new, when i clean them.

My dog utterly and completly DESTROYED the standard cloth bench seat (scotchgurded) in my old F150. (And ate my fancy neoprene seat covers)

So, I do know there are other options, and whatever works for you, but for me, those things are a godsend.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That works for me! Cool that you can just blast them with a hose and just let em dry out! Jeeps are awesome!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a bunch of jealous X owners who did'nt get a Sahara!!!!
Its all in fun here.
I have been out with The X's and Rubi's and I have gone everywhere they have without lockers and disconnects. And I even sat in the air conditioning and watched them toil in the heat pulling the disconnects and airing down. I very seldom air down!
Yep, I have a couple chips out of my fender flares but then again I have a bottle of touch up paint. most scratches buff out just like the doors.

To each his own..I've owned a 97 and a 2000 wrangler and i hated the black fenders that showed the wax or discolored.
If someone is that hardcore then they should be buying an X with nothing and doing their own build!
I prefer the color matched fenders and all the electronic stuff. I have the best of both worlds. I can drive the wifes 2dr standard hardtop or my 4dr auto ragtop. Life is good!
Get what tickles your senses otherwise you will kick yourself later!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the painted fenders alot, it's the only thing I like better about the Sahara, but they didn't come in white
Old 09-30-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Widewing
There's nothing wrong about buying a Sahara. It's the friendliest Wrangler for those who are not into heavy duty off-roading. It works great on the beach and in snow. For many Jeep owners, it's all they need or want.

That's why Jeep offers the full-tilt Rubicon, the more comfortable Sahara and the X, which can be outfitted from bare bones to near Rubicon. There's something for everyone who wants a JK Wrangler.

My regards,

Widewing
Well said. Buy what you want or can afford and enjoy it. I drove a Sahara when I was purchasing my Rubi, and I can say that the 18" wheels make on-road handling much better, which is I believe what Jeep has targeted the Sahara for.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SBlair
To each his own..I've owned a 97 and a 2000 wrangler and i hated the black fenders that showed the wax or discolored.
I hate that too. When I wax, I use 2" wide painter's tape and mask the fenders, door handles, mirror mounts and tailgate hinges. That's takes much less time than scrubbing off the wax residue later.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-30-2008, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08RUBIJK
Well said. Buy what you want or can afford and enjoy it. I drove a Sahara when I was purchasing my Rubi, and I can say that the 18" wheels make on-road handling much better, which is I believe what Jeep has targeted the Sahara for.
Agreed. The Sahara is the most road-worthy Wrangler. Moreover, lets face it; most of us spend the bulk of our JK driving time on paved roads.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Widewing
I hate that too. When I wax, I use 2" wide painter's tape and mask the fenders, door handles, mirror mounts and tailgate hinges. That's takes much less time than scrubbing off the wax residue later.

My regards,

Widewing
Widewing...how do you get around waxing over your badges/logos? I'd imagine carnuba would cake up on the edges of the vinyl logos?? Perhaps you use soft type wax? Curious...I obviously haven't waxed yet but will soon - that's why I ask.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

I use a Mothers California Gold liquid carnauba wax... Around badges I use what I see detailers use... Q-Tips to apply the wax. When it dries, I use a micro-fiber cloth wrapped around a Q-Tip to polish it out.

On decals I apply the wax parallel to the edge of the decal to minimize build up.

Here's the wax: http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05701-05500.html

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-30-2008, 11:41 PM
JK Newbie

I have the 07 x unlimited half doors witch was the key factor in buying the x-model. Plus also the painted fenders would scratch going through trails.

Quick Reply: Is a Sahara any better than a base model?