Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is a Sahara any better than a base model?

Old 09-28-2008, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as a sahara owner myself, i do enjoy the options that are given with it, such as the bigger wheels, electronic windows and locks, remote start, sirius, and definitely the YES Essentials seats. And Yes, there are downsides the the sahara as well.

Starting with the tires. I live 40 minutes from Assateague Island National seashore, where they have an over sand vehicle area. The Sahara is great for the sand. I still have yet to get stuck, even on the most chopped up of days. After going to the Jeep Jamboree at Snowshoe, WV, on what, at the time, was basically a stock sahara with the running boards pulled off (so they wouldnt get damaged) I realized that for such off road endeavors, the tires would need to be upgraded (still on the to do list). Also i realized that the Lockers would have been a nice feature as well. As for the Sway Bar, it is not worth the extra money when you can just manually do it. That is what i did for WV and it worked amazingly. The bigger look of the wheels is nice as well for my Daily driving since that is what it comes first as. She also handles nicely in the winter time in the snow. The suspension is noticeable after test driving the X as well

As for the Electronic windows and locks, remote start, and the sirius, I definitely enjoy the options. If i didnt use it as a daily driver i could see not having these options, but because i use them all so frequently, i certainly enjoy them.

The YES Essentials seats are actually what made me upgrade from the X to the Sahara. As the owner of a hard top and no soft top, I didnt want to get out on the beach 40 minutes away and see the storm a brewin'. I believe it to be a great choice. I have been caught once in a bad storm with the freedom panels off and the YES seats worked great, dried right out. Much of this would be matter of opinion though so i can certainly understand why some people think otherwise about the seats.

Some of the Vanity options, like the silver around the bumpers or the silver around the AC vents is certainly a little bit of overkill, although i will not complain about them. I do enjoy the look. As getting an unlimited, i like the set apart look because i realize that all JK owners have their own look, for me, i like the silver. Again, all matter of opinion.

As for the running boards, they are nice if thats what you like, personally i enjoy my rubi rails. I posted here on the forum and sure enough a member was happy to straight up trade rails for the running boards and i am very happy about that.

So in all, am i glad i got the sahara over the X, yes. Sahara over the Rubi (if i had the extra 3000 or 4000), no. Again all matter of opinion and every JK owner is different which is what makes owning one that much better. Good luck with the choice.

-Optus

BTW the painted flares to get a little annoying, but at this point i dont much care about them so regardless of how chopped up they get it is what it is i guess. Maybe it will be an excuse to spend money to get new ones

Last edited by Optus; 09-28-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ResQGrnRubi
I was thinking my jeep is 3 mos. old, and all 4 fenders would look like complete crap if they were painted.
People......the painted fender flairs hold up pretty darn good. I have some nicks , chips, and scratches and they don't look or show up any worse then when on the black fenders so get over it.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubidon
People......the painted fender flairs hold up pretty darn good. I have some nicks , chips, and scratches and they don't look or show up any worse then when on the black fenders so get over it.
I am not so sure of that. Unless jeep uses a completely different painting process than they did on my 00 XJ. After one winter my cherokee rear flares looked horrible. I wish I had pics but I don't have it anymore. Traded it in on the JK.

Unless you also don't do as much driving on treated snowy roads as I do. I have 39k miles on my jk already. Its been through almost 2 whole PA winters since I got it in December of 06. My rear flares are very very rough to touch. however they look perfect. I would be willing to bet if you drove through what I do your would look terrible just like my XJ did.

I don't mean to argue but operating condition much be the same before we can compare. I had my XJ which I doubt differs much from the current Sahara Flares. So I guess it matter where you live and how you drive also.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by derff96963
I am not so sure of that. Unless jeep uses a completely different painting process than they did on my 00 XJ. After one winter my cherokee rear flares looked horrible. I wish I had pics but I don't have it anymore. Traded it in on the JK.

Unless you also don't do as much driving on treated snowy roads as I do. I have 39k miles on my jk already. Its been through almost 2 whole PA winters since I got it in December of 06. My rear flares are very very rough to touch. however they look perfect. I would be willing to bet if you drove through what I do your would look terrible just like my XJ did.

I don't mean to argue but operating condition much be the same before we can compare. I had my XJ which I doubt differs much from the current Sahara Flares. So I guess it matter where you live and how you drive also.
I live in Ohio, and I would say we drive thru pretty much the same shit.
I've had mine 2 winters now and they are holding up well. Like I said I have some nicks, maybe because it is steel blue it doesn't show as much. I love um though.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got an x because i couldn't stand to "waste" all the good extras on the rubi that i want to change out...transfer case, suspension, gears, and tires/rims, rock rails. The only thing i'm not sure about is the front axle. BTW I did have a problem with the electric sway bar in the beginning but it has been fixed. The rear locker was never a problem.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightbat
The painted fenders will not fade to a grey/black over time.

Mine are beginning to fade to the black underneath, in scratch like stripes.

They have been through two complete salted & sanded western NY winters. on i dont know how many miles of gravel road, etc., and they are not showing signs of damage from it.

i have more scratches from things than paint wear from harsh winters/treated roads.

I would buy a Sahara again.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 09-29-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I would buy a Sahara again.
x2, Love my sahara. Sure the painted fenders have some nicks in em but my Jeep sure cleans up nice.

Personally, I didn't want the e-discos and I wanted to run open/open. Fair amount of locked up rigs in my club that have problems getting over some things that more experienced open/open drivers can do. I'm sure this will be a wildly unpopular opinion but I like the challenge of running open/open. I didn't/don't want lockers. IMHO, I think driver ability is way to overlooked. I've seen pretty much stock rides best modded up rigs and the difference is always who's in the driver seat not what they're driving.

I'm not trying to imply that rigs w/ lockers have poor drivers, I'm sure most everyone here has a great level of driving ability I'm just not into it.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOVE MY SAHARA

Old 09-29-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

Well one thing that made the X more appealing than the Sahara...

Availiable Electronic Locker and Electronic Sway bar. If the Sahara had that availiable, I would have gone that route possibly....
Old 09-30-2008, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure why all the raves about the "Yes" seats...I have a new "X" with their cloth seats and ended up getting a loaner from the dealer (while they added tint and some decals to my X)...the loaner was a Sahara and it had the Yes seats. Well, it's friggin hot down here in Houston and I found those seats to be itchy as heck! I found myself driving home leaning forward most of the way - with the AC blasting! Dunno...my X seats are cozy and do well in the heat...they were sprayed with 303 so I guess they're just as stain resistant? All I care is that they're OK in the heat!

Just my observation...

Quick Reply: Is a Sahara any better than a base model?