Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is a Sahara any better than a base model?

Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mainejeeper
Not quite, don't forget the rock rails that come standard with the Rubicon.

True..I was thinking on the underside and not rockers (which are underside I guess lol), but good point.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I am pretty sure you cant get the rear locker and dubious electronic sway bar disco on a Sahara.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PoorDad
I am pretty sure you cant get the rear locker and dubious electronic sway bar disco on a Sahara.
Not for 2008...
Old 09-27-2008, 10:17 PM
J2H
JK Enthusiast

You might be able to for '09 tho. I'd check my brochure if i didnt toss it in our conex!
Old 09-28-2008, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

just a couple small points to consider.I look at all the rock chips in the rear fender flares on my rubi,damn glad I do not have the painted sahara flares
I have the YES essentials seat covers,I still covered them with neo seat covers,so fancy seat covering not really a great perk,also as for HD suspension and shock options,do not waste your money as better off with some decent aftermarket shocks.Even the twin tube shocks I started with when 1st lifted were a huge improvement over stock Rubi shocks,so I wouldn't even consider factory upgrade shocks as a perk,If you really want hood insulation you can have mine(just makes it harder to keep clean under hood)my vote spec out the X
Old 09-28-2008, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Before I even start this is not intentionally meant to get you Sahara owners going, but I know some flames are coming off this.

pfffffft. in 07' most of the Rubicon options were available as options for the base X. If you're planning on doing bigger wheels / cosmetic changes / complete lift kit / slightly less glitchy sway and locker solutions then an X is the best buy.

Sahara just adds all the electronic options that'll get F'd crossing rivers and such. It's the "pretty" version with push button options.

The Rubicon actually comes with some useful gear. The 4:1 transfer case, and D44 front end.

With manual sway at least you KNOW it's engaged or disengaged, not playing the begging game with an electric motor. With a manual locker like an OX cable you can feel it engage and release.

That's my 2 cents. It's a Jeep. Do you intend to take it offroad? Go big and mod an X properly from the get go, or go BIGGER and drop the money on the Rubicon and mod that baby up. I see the Sahara as a waste of money you could have spent on real tires or options.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

The OP was just asking the differences between an X and Sahara. But it got away from that and now it's turning into a Sahara hate-fest. It's not just this thread either, the same viewpoint has been expressed in several other threads too. Here's pretty much the general consensus:
Rubicon=Big brother
X=Little brother
Sahara=Red-headed step-brother
For me, my jeep is my DD first and light to moderate off-roading second. I looked at the X's, but the one's on the lot didn't have the options I wanted and I didn't want to wait six months for a special order. Besides, by the time I optioned out a special order X, it was approaching the cost of a Sahara off the lot anyway. JK owners are already the outsiders of jeep world, don't make it worse by turning on each other.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

The painted fender flares are a big noway for me. My rear flares are very rough if you run your hands over the front of them. They have been nicked up by the road salt and traction grit they throw out here in PA during the winter. They are rough to the touch but otherwise look just fine. I know the painted flares would look like crap right now. Just like the flares on my 00 XJ. Just one PA winter and they looked like crap.

I don't think this has gotten too far of topic. The OP was probably trying to decide which to get. We are merely showing pros and cons of each. That's not off topic is it?

Last edited by derff96963; 09-28-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's nothing wrong about buying a Sahara. It's the friendliest Wrangler for those who are not into heavy duty off-roading. It works great on the beach and in snow. For many Jeep owners, it's all they need or want.

That's why Jeep offers the full-tilt Rubicon, the more comfortable Sahara and the X, which can be outfitted from bare bones to near Rubicon. There's something for everyone who wants a JK Wrangler.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-28-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking my jeep is 3 mos. old, and all 4 fenders would look like complete crap if they were painted.

Quick Reply: Is a Sahara any better than a base model?