Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is a Sahara any better than a base model?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by red rcok
quote My X has the same ground clearance as a Rubicon, which is only slightly greater than the Sahara.

How can x have same clearance as a sahara when sahara has the best stock ground clearance even better than rubicons
X comes with 28" tires
sahara 32.1"
rubicon 32.05"
sahara by a 1/4"
Since when does .050" add up to 1/4 inch?

X models with the S23 or S24 option (different option # for 2010) have 32" tires on alloys.... This constitutes the bulk of X production. Basic X models are in the minority. The Goodyear SR-As on the upgraded X measure 32.1" in diameter, identical to the Sahara's rubber.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
JK Super Freak

That's acually not true. The Sahara has an 18" wheel and has the largest OEM tires. You are correct that they are about the same size as the Rubicon tires. Same tire size IIRC, but the exact dimensions just vary by brand/tire type.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the same specs that the Sahara tires should be taller. However, I took my Sahara tires off and put Rubicon tires on. Before I did I stood the unmounted tires side by side. The Rubicon tires stood a little taller. Go figure?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Atl JK
That's acually not true. The Sahara has an 18" wheel and has the largest OEM tires. You are correct that they are about the same size as the Rubicon tires. Same tire size IIRC, but the exact dimensions just vary by brand/tire type.
According to Bridgestone, the Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S (standard Sahara tire) measures 32.1", exactly the same as the P255/75R17 fitted to X models.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...roduct_ID=1114

Thus, ground clearance is exactly the same, barring large differences in tire pressures. Wheel size is irrelevant in this case. Tire section ratio determines diameter.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-14-2009, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't know if I suck at measuring or what, but back at our old Jeep store, I physically measured a new S pkg X, Sahara, and Rubicon and that's what I came up with.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax arounbd the logos, etc

This is my first post so here goes...

An old show car trick is to use a very soft toothbrush gently around all the letters and decal edges to get the wax off that may be built up around them.

I used to have a 2003 rubicon and the gloss clear coated fenders made it look like trash when they got rock chips from the road. It also rode very hoppity.

I traded for a 4 door unlimited X with the power windows, etc group and got a Detonator Yellow model as I darn sure can't lose it in any big parking lot. The ride is greatly improved and we like it a LOT more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	New Jeep, flooded stream, Mothers Day 2009, house cracks,  Nice house and porch pictures.008 (Me.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	30156   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Jeep, flooded stream, Mothers Day 2009, house cracks,  Nice house and porch pictures.018 (Me.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	30157  

Quick Reply: Is a Sahara any better than a base model?