Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is a Sahara any better than a base model?

Old 09-10-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silvrevo
Im looking at a 2009 Sahara Now.

And the book says it has front and rear locking diffs standard!

What book ?? No button ... No lockers ..
Old 09-10-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bostonMA
Wow, quite instigatory for a 1st post.
seriously. i have a sahara and have my rig out in trails just like the one posted in your pic if not in worse predicaments and it has always gotten me out. welcome to the forum, but think before you write. just because some people chose a sahara doesn't mean they don't wheel them. it's like saying someone bought an X because they didn't have the money. that's just an ignorant statement. i enjoy the creature comforts that came w/the sahara and any jeep can be built to be as capable or more than the next. out of the box the sahara isn't that great, but it is capable on the trails after u switch out the stock tires. which by the way aren't any better / worse than the stock meats on the X.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystique
Sahara's are nice pavement princesses, if your going to use it like this then get a base model or Rubicon if you have the coin....
What an ignorant douche...
Old 09-11-2009, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dmhines
What book ?? No button ... No lockers ..
I wondering the same thing, just bought an 09 Sahara loaded and I do not have lockers
Old 09-11-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mystique
Sahara's are nice pavement princesses, if your going to use it like this then get a base model or Rubicon if you have the coin...
Shut your c0ck holster! come wheel with me and my pavent princess Sahara douche
Old 09-11-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between

IMO, when I was looking at Jeeps, I tested the X, Rubi and Sahara.
Didnt feel comfortable in the X. Found the Rubi to be more than we wanted, and the Sahara felt right. Plus the deal we got was beter on the Sahara.
Had it since April, still stock, and dont plan to change it.
Im very happy with my choice and if I had to do it again, Id get the same model.
I do plan on taking it offroad but nothing extreme. That aint my thing.
IMHO, My money, My choice. And Im happy with mine just the way it is.

Last edited by donnie; 09-11-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

A few posts towards to beginning mentioned the painted fenders getting scratched. However, I believe that the paint color is molded through... so even when scratched, it's the same color. Mine is black, so it's hard for me to confirm that. Anyone here know??? Someone with a different color Sahara had to have scratched their flares...

I'm pretty new to Jeeps, but my few times wheeling (stock), the Sahara has been very capable.

I love my Sahara... power options and all. The windows don't work with the doors of though

joking

As to the origninal post, I think your questions was answered in the 12 pages or so of commentary. I've found the best source of info to be the jeep website or literature, although I have found mistakes in that as well.

Enjoy!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love my Rubicon. It has all the comforts of the Sahara (YES seats, power windows & locks, speakers) plus great off road upgrades compared to the X. If I had bought the X model I would not pay the extra money for everything the Rubicon has. Plus, if I bought the X I would have spent more on mods to make it equivalent to the Rubicon than just buying the Rubicon. So to me it made sense to go ahead and get the Rubicon since I had my wife's approval (she got a used Volvo XC90 so it was an easy conversation).

I love not getting shocked everytime I get out and shut my door. Anti-static seats is a HUGE plus to me. I also love the electronic disconnecting sway bar. That means no tools needed. I can press a button and keep rolling down the trail. For me it was a decision between the X and Rubicon. I would have gone X if I planned on doing heavy mods, but now all I care to do is add a lift and bigger tires when the stock ones go bald.

Buying a vehicle is a personal choice. It's a lot of money so go with what you feel comfortable with. My Rubicon does not make me the most dedicated jeep owner, it's just what I decided to get and the deal I got back in May was awesome!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:39 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by BMccool

I also love the electronic disconnecting sway bar. That means no tools needed. I can press a button and keep rolling down the trail. For me it was a decision between the X and Rubicon. !
I don't need no tools for my Quick Discos yeah it cost $100 for a set of quick discos and takes me a minute to jump out and unclip both swaybar links vs pushing a button.

It would be a nice option to have the electric disconnecting sway bar as I do get alittle muddy reconnecting them after a good hard day of wheeling........but I don't have to worry about electric failures down the road or a Flashing Swaybar disconnect light blinking because it can't connect
Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, mine never has any issues reconnecting.

Quick Reply: Is a Sahara any better than a base model?