Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is a Sahara any better than a base model?

Old 09-27-2008, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Sahara any better than a base model?

At this point, I have removed the Sahara text stickers, the front and rear silver bumper trim, the rear tow hook, the side steps, and the wheels/tires. So other than the little dune sticker which I left on and the color wheel fenders, is there anything left that makes mine a Saraha?

I am hoping the spings and shocks are different, to accomodate the 18" wheels/tires, and maybe I got the anti-spin diff with a lower ratio? Maybe the silver trim on my heater outlets? Anything else I got for my money?

thanks
Kurt

Last edited by kurtfriedrich; 09-27-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:48 PM
JK Freak

X or Sahara are the same.

The only thing I don't like on the Sahara are the 18" rims, because it's difficult and expensive to find big mud tires.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Here's a few more things that come standard on the Sahara that may or may not be available as options on an X:
power windows/locks
security alarm
better quality stain resistant seat fabric
1 year of sirius
HD suspension w/gas shocks
keyless entry
hood insulation
Infinity sound system
Old 09-27-2008, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

The painted fenders will not fade to a grey/black over time.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Here's a few more things that come standard on the Sahara that may or may not be available as options on an X:
power windows/locks
security alarm
1 year of sirius
keyless entry
hood insulation
Infinity sound system
Of course, but X or Sahara, it's the same mechanic
Old 09-27-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comparing the X to the Sahara depends on how the X is optioned. If you stick to the base X, I'd prefer the Sahara. However, you can option out the X to a level comparable with the Sahara.

Option packages (especially suspension) changed for 2009. For example, you can't order the heavy duty suspension on a 2009 X model (according to the current Jeep Wrangler "build my own" web page). But, you could do so for 2008.

I have a 2008 X with the 24S option package. That adds the heavy duty suspension, 17" wheels, 32" Goodyears, console, cloth seats and quite a lot more. I didn't want the power windows and remote door locks which are standard on the Sahara. I have the fog lights, but without the silver accent bumpers. I don't have the side steps that come with the Sahara. I ordered the Trac-Lok rear axle which is not standard on the Sahara. My X has the same ground clearance as a Rubicon, which is only slightly greater than the Sahara.

The Sahara has 70 series Goodyear tires that are not quite as effective (less compliant) as the 75 series, which are less capable off road than the Goodrich rubber on the Rubicon. Of course, I can switch to the same Goodrich tires as well. Having driven a Sahara JK, it seemed a bit more stable on the road where the 70 series tires reduce turn-in angles and feels slightly more crisp in response.

The biggest question I faced was this: Is the extra content of the Sahara worth the additional $3,000 when compared to a well optioned X (especially for off road use). I didn't think so, and purchased the X. YMMV....

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-27-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jrtjk
You may or may not have what they consider HD shocks. IIRC, you should have additional skid plates.

Can't forget the nicely painted fender flares!
No extra skid protection. As a matter of fact the Rubicon, X and Sahara have the exact same skid protection.

Last edited by dyolfknip; 09-27-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

power windows/locks
security alarm
1 year of sirius
keyless entry
hood insulation
Infinity sound system
Some may consider the hood insulation a downgrade......
Old 09-27-2008, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

power windows/locks
security alarm
1 year of sirius
keyless entry
hood insulation
Infinity sound system

Most of the above are available on the X (for 2008). The HD suspension option doesn't appear to have carried over to 2009. Fabric seats on the X are not the Yes type, but that is more or less corrected with an application of Formula 303.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-27-2008, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
No extra skid protection. As a matter of fact the Rubicon, X and Sahara have the exact same skid protection.
Not quite, don't forget the rock rails that come standard with the Rubicon.

Quick Reply: Is a Sahara any better than a base model?