Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rusty Windshield Torx Bolts

Old 02-16-2009, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty Windshield Torx Bolts

I noticed today my <6 month old jeep's black torx bolts around the windshield pillar and bottom of windshield were a little rusty (and I live in a good climate with no salt on the roads and little rain).

I'm somewhat pissed - on closer inspection the surface finish of the bolts was variable and bumpy - not the smooth kind-of "anodized black" finish that I would have expected for a "body" finish type "feature".

I have no idea how these got PPAP'd (qualified) by Jeep to be used.

Any experience out there? Do you think the body rust protection covers this?

I would replace them with stainless - but thats not the point, and I kind of like the subtle black look.

Last edited by foxcasper; 02-16-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't feel bad. I've had my Jeep for 2 weeks and 800 miles and there is a sign of rust coming from behind those bolts.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

it is cover under warranty my jeep has it too. on mine the rust is from the windshield brace. it seems like they overtorqued the bolts and it bent in were the bolts touch the brace. this causes the paint to crack and exposes the paint to water then it begins to rust. i took the brace off and i took it to the service manager today and showed him the problem so they could fix it right because last fri. they put touch up paint in one of the bolts and called it good.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I noticed mine did too after a couple months. I bought touch up paint at the dealer and fixed it myself and I keep a close eye on it. It does come back.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I noticed rust on mine shortly after I brought my JK home. I pulled the corners off, put white lithium grease behind the plates and on the torx bolts. I also use the white lithium on the door hinge pins to keep them from rusting.

Its been a year and everything still looks great.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

had the same problem on my 07, covered under warranty, they repainted them all, no problems since

Quick Reply: Rusty Windshield Torx Bolts