Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rust under the paint on the door hinges

Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust under the paint on the door hinges

I know they are rusting because I take off my doors all the time in the Summer and water has gotten under them. My question is if I buy replacement stainless hinges, am I going to crack the paint when I remove the stock ones causing rust to the doors themselves? Has anyone replaced their stock hinges? What is the trick to do it properly?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ktonrider
I know they are rusting because I take off my doors all the time in the Summer and water has gotten under them. My question is if I buy replacement stainless hinges, am I going to crack the paint when I remove the stock ones causing rust to the doors themselves? Has anyone replaced their stock hinges? What is the trick to do it properly?
X2 for sure on this one. I was looking at the bedlined ones.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's my understanding that it's some galvanic action because the hinges are aluminum and the door skins are steel. The Jeep is painted with the hinges on so there's just bare metal underneath the hinges. there're a few threads on it. most people just pop the hinges off without scoring the paint and haven't had problems, some have gotten it covered under warranty. I however have no first hand experience.

edit: here's a thread on it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...+hinge+rusting

Last edited by zeppo; 02-10-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know this doesn't exactly answer your questions but... have you spoken to anyone at Jeep about the problem? I just had 8 of my hinges repair/repainted by Chrysler gratis.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billheese
I know this doesn't exactly answer your questions but... have you spoken to anyone at Jeep about the problem? I just had 8 of my hinges repair/repainted by Chrysler gratis.
Im gonna ask, but Shes got 76,000 miles and is out of warranty
Old 02-10-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Look into the warranty specs, the anti-corrosion and perforation warranty on outer panels is extremely long comparatively. I believe it's along the lines of 5 years, 100,000 miles. Don't quote me on it, it's just a vague memory of a previous read.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zeppo
Look into the warranty specs, the anti-corrosion and perforation warranty on outer panels is extremely long comparatively. I believe it's along the lines of 5 years, 100,000 miles. Don't quote me on it, it's just a vague memory of a previous read.
Thanks for the info! Gonna call the dealer tomorrow
Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

just looked it up on the jeep website in the for owners section and my info was accurate for outer panels. for all other panels it's 3yrs. unlimited miles.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by zeppo
it's my understanding that it's some galvanic action because the hinges are aluminum and the door skins are steel. The Jeep is painted with the hinges on so there's just bare metal underneath the hinges. there're a few threads on it. most people just pop the hinges off without scoring the paint and haven't had problems, some have gotten it covered under warranty. ]
It is galvanic corrosion. I had mine replaced and repainted. Just make sure hen you get to the dealership to ensure they are putting on steel hinges over Aluminum hinges. If they are putting back Aluminum hinges at the very least make sure they are putting a protective rubber coating or make sure all the paint is on the back side of the new Aluminum hinges to prevent this galvanic reaction from happening again.

Quick Reply: Rust under the paint on the door hinges