Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rust

Old 09-23-2014, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust

My 2013 rubi has rust spots coming up under the paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-955318555.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	576976

Chrysler is reviewing. We will see what happens.

Sent using smoke signals
Old 09-23-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to tell in the picture, but is it a rust stain ON the paint. I've never seen such a thing
Old 09-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Where exactly are they? The only place I have ever seen rust on a JK is on the hinges.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Body rust usually bubbles up the paint before breaking through the surface.

I can't really tell by the photo but if it's on the surface it is more likely brake dust or rail dust (or IFO, industrial fallout).

Claybar or compound might take it off. If it's melted in it might harder to remove. There are good products on the market. You can look up detailing websites for the latest info.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:42 PM
JK Freak

Only exposed iron and steel rust, it would be hard for body rust to make it through clean up, primer, paint, clearcoat, show room, home, and then show itself.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

The stain is appearing under the clear coat. The dealer even thinks it is rust. I looks like a splatter pattern. May have had sweat dripped on it ? No one know but definitely something in factory. Stains are on the pass side of hood. Always been dis colored a bit but now turning brown.I have tried compound and Claybar but the stains are under the clearcoat so nothing can be done They do acknowledge that it's under clearcoat and must be a paint imperfection but they're not exactly sure what it is Sent using smoke signals

Last edited by Dbmoorejr; 09-24-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr
The stain is appearing under the clear coat. The dealer even thinks it is rust. I looks like a splatter pattern. May have had sweat dripped on it ? No one know but definitely something in factory. Stains are on the pass side of hood. Always been dis colored a bit but now turning brown.I have tried compound and Claybar but the stains are under the clearcoat so nothing can be done They do acknowledge that it's under clearcoat and must be a paint imperfection but they're not exactly sure what it is Sent using smoke signals
That's pretty strange. I hope they treat you right. I'd want a new hood as opposed to a refinish job on the original.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet
That's pretty strange. I hope they treat you right. I'd want a new hood as opposed to a refinish job on the original.
I agree. I'd want a new hood, because chances are that if they reprint the original hood it's not going to be right. Speaking only from personal experience, and I am picky. When ever a single part is painted, it's never perfect. Either the matching, the prep work, or the application is flawed. Or you'll find over spray on areas. The over spay will come off rather easily, but still and aggravation to deal with.

But then again as I'm typing this? I realize that anew hood most likely will come primed and the dealer will paint it. Just like the freedom panels that were replaced for me. The paint job it's self is ok, but there were a few areas that they missed completely. Ugh
Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree on the hood. If that is the case then I think I will try to see if I can pay the difference for a 10th anniversary hood. But used normal decals Sent using smoke signals
Old 09-24-2014, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just to clarify what type of stain it is. Kind of looks like bird crap splatter but if you lean down and look acros it the discoloring goes away and the clear looks good. From the top the pic is pretty good as for color but covers about a 6 inch square area of the hood. Dealer says about three days for chrysler to answer. I will let you know.
Sent using smoke signals

Quick Reply: Rust