Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rugged Ridge Mats Smell

Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine didn't smell either,bought em new at 4wp ...:Yup:
Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Put them outside, in the sun for a few hours, and let them off-gas to holy hell where you don't have to smell them. The UV will warm them up and those volatile compounds will come out much quicker. Although, in the dead of winter that's tougher in some places than in others...like around here, even finding sunlight is a challenge.

I bought the Quadratec mats. They smelled for maybe a week before they chilled out. So, if you can't stand the smell of your Rugged Ridge mats, swap for a set of Quadratec mats or something else.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk_sea
Put them outside, in the sun for a few hours, and let them off-gas to holy hell where you don't have to smell them. The UV will warm them up and those volatile compounds will come out much quicker. Although, in the dead of winter that's tougher in some places than in others...like around here, even finding sunlight is a challenge.

I bought the Quadratec mats. They smelled for maybe a week before they chilled out. So, if you can't stand the smell of your Rugged Ridge mats, swap for a set of Quadratec mats or something else.
Thanks. Soaking them did little. Now they are in the sun,......but its cold out. Day 2 and still smell. Will see
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shrimpster
Thanks. Soaking them did little. Now they are in the sun,......but its cold out. Day 2 and still smell. Will see
I called Rugged Ridge and complained. They were great and replaced the mats with new ones. Guess what? The new ones smell too. Its simply the material they are using, and the off gas tricks do not work.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shrimpster

I called Rugged Ridge and complained. They were great and replaced the mats with new ones. Guess what? The new ones smell too. Its simply the material they are using, and the off gas tricks do not work.
Mine are about 3 weeks old no more smell. But yes they were horrible at first.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Mats Smell