Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubicon sway bar disconnect help

Old 03-03-2010, 03:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon sway bar disconnect help

Was looking at a 2007 Rubicon and tried disconnecting the sway bar. When I had someone push the button, I could hear a motor running but I didn't notice that it really did anything. Maybe I'm wrong and just not looking where I need to specifically. So I guess my real question is how exactly does the factory sway bar disco work? I understand it is to disconnect the sway bar but how does it and where does it actually disconnect.

I was looking at the sway bar links which of course is where the normal old way we disconnected them.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't see anything happen when you press the button. All the action takes places under/behind the front bumper where the motor is. Unless with stock Jeeps, the e-sway bar disco on the rubicons doesn't disconnect the end links.

Hope that helps you out.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what he said, plus you have to make sure you are in 4hi (or low), going under 14mph (i think its 14), and on level ground when trying to disco. the light in the dash should show steady lit when disco'd.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JKAY
Was looking at a 2007 Rubicon and tried disconnecting the sway bar. When I had someone push the button, I could hear a motor running but I didn't notice that it really did anything. Maybe I'm wrong and just not looking where I need to specifically. So I guess my real question is how exactly does the factory sway bar disco work? I understand it is to disconnect the sway bar but how does it and where does it actually disconnect.

I was looking at the sway bar links which of course is where the normal old way we disconnected them.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
To answer your question:

The sway bar is made in two pieces that come together inside the disconnect case. That's where the action occurs. The motor you heard slides a sleeve back and forth to connect/disconnect the ends of the two sway bars. There is nothing to see outside the case.

Quick Reply: Rubicon sway bar disconnect help