Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubicon lockers also limited slip?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by dstock
Damn...look what I started! LOL

This is great information, I really appreciate it. I probably not going to go with the Rubicon as it is overkill for my needs, and the difference in price will buy alot of mods.
So I have been looking at the Unlimited Sport versions and it seems limited slip is hard to find unless you order it, but it seems with the TCS it may not be as needed as in the past. Certainly something I can add later if I change my mind.

Thanks for all the input.
That is true. And it works on the front axle (in 4wd), too. Better than limited slip. IMO.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traction control can be good, but watch your brake pads! It will chew them up in no time due to all the additional "braking" it does for you!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

So in theory then the limited slip that is in the sport and sahara would be better for driving in snow then the locking diff that is on the rubicon and the rubi would be better for off roading. I also think I read that they only remain locked up to a certain speed on the rubicon.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Red Wings
So in theory then the limited slip that is in the sport and sahara would be better for driving in snow then the locking diff that is on the rubicon and the rubi would be better for off roading. I also think I read that they only remain locked up to a certain speed on the rubicon.
I would agree to your first sentence. The BLD is good in snow, too.

As to your second, I have not read about, and have not seen evidence of, speed being a factor regarding the Rubi lockers; only 4lo being the requirement.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I would agree to your first sentence. The BLD is good in snow, too.

As to your second, I have not read about, and have not seen evidence of, speed being a factor regarding the Rubi lockers; only 4lo being the requirement.
I just re-read the manual and you are correct that 4lo is the only requirement. It does recommend the speed be less than 10 mph, but it doesn't say that it is a must.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slippery
TJ Rubi's had limited slip rears until locked, but that went away in the new JK 44 design. Don't know why. I felt it was the perfect setup.

I tried an ECTED in an 8.8 once, because I felt a limited slip and locker switch was the ideal setup, but not with an ECTED!
My `03 Rubi limiited slip never worked like this new JK setup. This is night and day better than the old version. Nor did the Trash-Lok limited slips in my other TJs, all junk!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubicon John
My `03 Rubi limiited slip never worked like this new JK setup. This is night and day better than the old version. Nor did the Trash-Lok limited slips in my other TJs, all junk!
The thing I don't like is the fact that the new set up is most likely why a lot of people are going through rear brake pads quicker than fronts. I have spent the last 16 years driving rear wheel drive vehicles in the snow and I don't care for the new system of the Jeep trying to do the driving for me. I have disabled as much as I can with the steering wheel dance and wish I could disable the brake function. I paid extra for the LSD knowing that it is benenficial in snowy conditions and care for the fact that the computer is applying brakes when I don't want it to.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing I don't like is the fact that the new set up is most likely why a lot of people are going through rear brake pads quicker than fronts. I have spent the last 16 years driving rear wheel drive vehicles in the snow and I don't care for the new system of the Jeep trying to do the driving for me. I have disabled as much as I can with the steering wheel dance and wish I could disable the brake function. I paid extra for the LSD knowing that it is benenficial in snowy conditions and care for the fact that the computer is applying brakes when I don't want it to.
Very valid points, but I don't mind changing the rear brakes more often for a system that actually works. Granted it's fun to turn it off and drive old school; however, 25 years of driving in snow, I welcome new technology that let's me drive like a knucklehead when I feel like it...which is most of the time!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubicon John
Very valid points, but I don't mind changing the rear brakes more often for a system that actually works. Granted it's fun to turn it off and drive old school; however, 25 years of driving in snow, I welcome new technology that let's me drive like a knucklehead when I feel like it...which is most of the time!
Numerous times before I disabled everything I could, I would start to slip and I would immediately start correcting for it. The next thing I know the Jeep is stepping in and starting to do things also and before you know it I am worse off then I was in my 1990 Mercury Cougar XR7 (very fast car with performance tires and full time posi rear end). I tried to leave it on and get used to it, but it just wasn't happening and I eventually turned off as much as I could. I do 90% city driving and if I were to go on a long trip I would probably re-enable everything just for extra assistance on the highway if needed, but for the city I prefer to have a little fun while I drive. I also have 25 years in the snow, just some of the earlier ones were in front wheel drive cars.

I will also say that I love all of the traction control that is on the wifes 09 Chevy Malibu V-6 car, it actually goes really well in the snow and the TCS has helped me out on a couple occasions.

Last edited by Red Wings; 01-27-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Numerous times before I disabled everything I could, I would start to slip and I would immediately start correcting for it. The next thing I know the Jeep is stepping in and starting to do things also and before you know it I am worse off then I was in my 1990 Mercury Cougar XR7 (very fast car with performance tires and full time posi rear end). I tried to leave it on and get used to it, but it just wasn't happening and I eventually turned off as much as I could. I do 90% city driving and if I were to go on a long trip I would probably re-enable everything just for extra assistance on the highway if needed, but for the city I prefer to have a little fun while I drive. I also have 25 years in the snow, just some of the earlier ones were in front wheel drive cars.

I will also say that I love all of the traction control that is on the wifes 09 Chevy Malibu V-6 car, it actually goes really well in the snow and the TCS has helped me out on a couple occasions.
Most people just hit the gas pedal. They don't know it's slipping, or how to correct for it. I see this all the time in the winter.
Those are the people all the electronic control is for. It's the majority of the market, unfortunately.

Quick Reply: Rubicon lockers also limited slip?