Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubicon lockers also limited slip?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rubicon lockers also limited slip?

Do the lockers on the Rubicon also function as limited slip when not locked? I know some e-diff's do.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Junkie

No, open differential or locked.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool, thanks for the info!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

The traction control works when the diffs aren't locked and it isn't manually disabled.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scooter, your statement is correct for all the other models EXCEPT for the Rubicon. When the lockers are not engaged on the Rubi the axle functions as an open diff.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by EmbarkChief
Scooter, your statement is correct for all the other models EXCEPT for the Rubicon. When the lockers are not engaged on the Rubi the axle functions as an open diff.
You are correct in that the axle is mechanically an open differential when not locked, but Scooter is also correct. While Scooter's terminology doesn't match the manual which calls it TCS for traction control system, he is describing the operation of that system. Even on the Rubicons, it works as I can verify from personal experience. Here's what the manual says.

Traction Control System (TCS)
This system monitors the amount of wheel spin of each of
the driven wheels. If wheel spin is detected, brake
pressure is applied to the slipping wheel(s) to provide
enhanced acceleration and stability. A feature of the TCS
system functions similar to a limited slip differential and
controls the wheel spin across a driven axle. If one wheel
on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other, the
system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel. This
will allow more engine torque to be applied to the wheel
that is not spinning. This feature remains active even if
TCS and ESP are in either the “Partial Off” or “Full Off”
modes. Refer to “ESP (Electronic Stability Program)” in
this section.

Last edited by GregD; 01-06-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Works pretty well too. So far this winter 2wd is all I've needed. On really icy, hilly roads the TCS gets a good workout. You can feel it manipulating wheel-spin, and stabilizing the vehicle coming out of corners.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott
I was under the assumption that the BLD was something that was a part of the TCS.
What you're describing as BLD is exactly the same as TCS. Just two different terms for the same thing as far as I know.

The other computer controlled braking functions are: ABS (Anti-lock brake system), BAS (Brake assist system), HSA (Hill start assist), ERM (Electronic roll mitigation), and ESP (Electronic stability program).

Last edited by GregD; 01-07-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

The electronic lockers that come on the Rubicon are in addition to the brake assisted traction control, I believe. The electronic lockers the OP was probably thinking about is the ected e-locker, which is an LSD when it's off. However, the Rubicons have true open/closed electronic locking diffs.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GregD
What you're describing as BLD is exactly the same as TCS. Just two different terms for the same thing as far as I know.

The other computer controlled braking functions are: ABS (Anti-lock brake system), BAS (Brake assist system), HSA (Hill start assist), ERM (Electronic roll mitigation), and ESP (Electronic stability program).

I hear what you are saying but lets think about this for a second.

BLD=Brake locking differential
TCS=Traction Control System

On the surface it seems that they would be the same thing however I see 2 problems with this. 1. If it was the same then why would the Jeep (non rubi)have both systems? 2. TCS will bring you to a standstill in deep mud or sand, which I'm assuming the BLD system will not. In my experience the TCS keeps your wheels from spinning at all and the BLD makes sure you can put power to the ground by making sure the wheels will turn despite the open diff. I will admit that I'm not familiar with how the BLD system works (does it just apply brake pressure to individual tires (TCS) or is it a friction cone in the Diff itself?) so I may be way off base.

Quick Reply: Rubicon lockers also limited slip?