Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubicon Axle Housing Snapped!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BOSS
Come on Jeep builds over 5000 JK's PER DAY, a handful a D44 axle tube breakage is statistically insignificant...
A point that most people miss. However, the fact that there are multiple breaks here seems to point to the possibility of a bad lot of steel. It's particularly more common now that steel is so highly priced. Steel mills don't have to worry about quality like they used to, because where are you going to go? They have manufacturers by the *ahem*...
Old 03-13-2008, 05:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gergy9
Thanks For the reply you Dip Shit! The world is now a better place because you opened your fat mouth about something you know nothing about
That was funny right there now.

I for one am sorry this has happened to you. I've read the entire thread and looked at all the pics. Although it obviously IS an impact break, it is broken very cleanly. This is usually indicitive of metal fatigue. Judging by the other pics of similarly broken housings, I'd be gambling on some bad axle tube metal. Bottom line is "I" think that it should have withstood the impact. It's too bad that you had to come out of pocket at all for any repairs. What'd you pay for your Rubicon? 32? 34? I mean damn, you bought the best model, with supposedly the toughest available axles. You wouldda thought that you wouldda been ready for anything. I've seen axle tubes take what was probably a way worse lick and only end up scratched up a little. I think the way the stealership handled it was total BS. From the looks of it though, you kinda shopped around and ended up finding a dealer that would at least go halves. I think we're already seeing that the lifetime drivetrain warranty ain't all it's cracked up to be.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these things should not break even if they are hit , Id call Chrysler or start a web site. Warranty on something new is warranty. Samr thing happened to me in a chysler mini van when I hit a piece of metal that fell off a Semi ...took out the rack and pinion ...after several battles and a threat of a law suit regardless of what caused it it is still under wananty to them and if there product can fail than it should also be repoted to the NHTSA so they know about it and possibly get enough complaints to do a recall on these

www.dontbuydodge.com
Old 03-23-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Web site should read

http://www.donotbuydodge.ca/

Last edited by mrktwatchr; 03-23-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrktwatchr
WEb site should read

www.dontbuydodge.ca
the link didnt work for me
Old 03-25-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Default Someone set up a Poll, please...(axel damage)

Wish i knew how!!

Someone volunteer please, !!!!!!!
and set up a Axel damage poll,

type axel, ( D30, D35, D44)
front or rear
Brackets torn (shocks, track bar, stabilizer, etc)
Axel snapped.

Stock or lifted

We need a more direct listing of info on troubeled parts,
versus lots of searching thru the webs.

the response would eliminate the question if this a sporadic issue or a valid problem

I think it is an valid problem and am concerned.

Someone helps us out.

Thanks TV.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:13 AM
JK Newbie

Come on Jeep builds over 5000 JK's PER DAY, a handful a D44 axle tube breakage is statistically insignificant.
You need to go back and check your numbers. It's more like 470 +- a few last I saw..
Old 03-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Hog
JK Newbie

I know this thread is quite 'mature' by now, but I haven't seen anyone else say what I think is possible, so here goes (my words from the ModifiedJK forum).. DO YOU THINK IT IS DUE TO "CHINESE DANAs?"
For the record that "Chinese DANAs" is my label and personal speculation based on threads that seem to identify incomplete and incorrect assembly re: the c-clip in these front axle u-joints, other "inferior materials?" discussions around axle housings, and the fact that DANA has a business relationship with China:{ following excerpt from http://dana.mediaroom.com/index.php/press_releases/1494} -
"Dana's presence in China includes the recently announced joint venture
with Dongfeng Motor Co. Ltd. Called Dongfeng Dana Axle Co. Ltd., the new
joint-venture company will support the regional market through 8,000 employees in three production facilities in Xiangfan and Shiyan, as well as plans for a research and development center to be established in Wuhan.
Adding to Dana's footprint in China is ROC Spicer, a facility that
produces passenger-vehicle axle components and driveshafts in Shenyang and
another facility that manufactures axles and differentials in Fujian. Dana is
also a strategic partner of GETRAG in China, and Dana's Wuxi facility produces
axles for off-highway and commercial vehicles, along with axles for lawn and
garden applications."

Not sure if the DANA front axles in our JKs (not just the 44 btw) are truly Chinese manufactured or just assembled or not... but easy for me to jump to that conclusion based on the posts here about axle problems... and hey, to be fair, maybe if it was true it is all worked out now, but I for one check my f-axl u-joints every day and need to get something in there I can take for granted and give me peace of mind when my wife (who can id a u-joint, but won't likely check-em each outing) drives JACK.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Come on Jeep builds over 5000 JK's PER DAY, a handful a D44 axle tube breakage is statistically insignificant.

Quit Generalizing

2008 JK
39x12.50R17
Cummins 4B/3.9L Diesel
Dyno-ed at 286 hp/410 ft-lb torqe
Dynatrack 60 (front) 80 (rear)
(8)Currie Johny Joint control arms
Terraflex Coils
JKS quike disconects
much, much more
I went mad

I agree completely...the strange thing is I bombed around on Rubiconownersforum.com when I had my TJ and never saw anything about about any housing breaks, BUT there also weren't as many TJ's out over that given period as there are JK's. So I agree that statistically it is super super low but it's good be cautious...
Old 03-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Hog
JK Newbie

[... So I agree that statistically it is super super low but it's good be cautious...]

Glad you added the "good to be cautious" even if you agree with BOSS... by my thinking, it isn't insignificant (even statistically) to the guy who's one-in-whatever-number rig has a defect-caused or who-knows-why caused problem (and hopefully not with a catestrophic result ). If I'm just tool'n or wheel'n and paying proper vetran attention and something goes south that produces some breakage and annoying repair cost, no biggie. BUT if a 'rookie' family member has the one-in-whatever number defect?-caused accident that could be avoided by routine inspection, upgrade, or dare I say recall fix, then that is significant by my standards.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Axle Housing Snapped!