Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubicon Axle Housing Snapped!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's just rust. it's normal.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

do those pics really tell us anything? i don 't know what to look for as I don't have any experience with this sorta' thing.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just went out and looked with mine and also didnt see any marks other then where its rusting and the paint is peeling off. i wish i had the time to get the underside of my jeep redone with some better paint. ugh... only a year old and the entire underside is rusted.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I looked at mine again and it seems to only be paint missing but I still wonder about the LOT number on the broken tubes.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think the most obvious reply is to tell this rook to aim for the rocks with his tires and not the housing. It doesn't seem in your pictures that you actually see alot of rocks, so I assume that you must drive into every rock that you encounter. Sack up and buy the new axle and next time aim your tires at the rocks..........
Old 03-09-2008, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

One thing to remember, if this is a metal fatigue problem, the paint will come off where it is going to crack, before it actually cracks. The metal is flexing at the point where the crack starts and this flexing causes the paint to go. Not trying to get everyone to freak out over rust lines, but one that is going to snap would first show up as a rust line.

If you are really worried about it, you could shine it up with a grinder, which would make it easier to see a crack, but then warrenty would be an issue "why were you grinding on your axle?"
Old 03-09-2008, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same thing happen years ago on a Dana 70 in a 1 ton Dodge. The temp was below zero and I attributed that to causing the metal to be brittle.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justrok
I think the most obvious reply is to tell this rook to aim for the rocks with his tires and not the housing. It doesn't seem in your pictures that you actually see alot of rocks, so I assume that you must drive into every rock that you encounter. Sack up and buy the new axle and next time aim your tires at the rocks..........
Thanks For the reply you Dip Shit! The world is now a better place because you opened your fat mouth about something you know nothing about
Old 03-10-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep-Power
I agree-- theat looks like rust from peeled/chipped paint-- the photo doesn't show any sort of stress (at least not clearly)

I'm wondering along the same lines-- what is the year/month of the two that have broken??
I am actually the third.

Mine was built in Feb '07.
I believe Trail Buds was built around the same time.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down

Come on Jeep builds over 5000 JK's PER DAY, a handful a D44 axle tube breakage is statistically insignificant.

Quit Generalizing

2008 JK
39x12.50R17
Cummins 4B/3.9L Diesel
Dyno-ed at 286 hp/410 ft-lb torqe
Dynatrack 60 (front) 80 (rear)
(8)Currie Johny Joint control arms
Terraflex Coils
JKS quike disconects
much, much more
I went mad

Last edited by BOSS; 03-12-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Axle Housing Snapped!