Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubicon Axle Housing Snapped!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve&2jc's
Any updates yet? I guess I'll be avoiding that hill. Does anyone know if the axle can just be re-tubed with stronger tubes? It should be cheaper than a whole new axle and fix the weak point so it's up to the task now. There's no sense dropping 5-6,000 on a 60 if the weak link can be fixed. People built up 44 for trail rigs all the time and stronger tubeson ours should take the abuse.
They are splitting the cost with me 50/50. So they are putting a new left axle in a new housing with all the old guts. I can't wait to get her back!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greasemonkey85
you know what is funny though, only locked tj's made it over the first hill! it took me 2 tries and on the second try i put it in 2nd and went right up over. they didn t tell me there was another hill on the other side, thanks Jon!
I think there are 6 hills out. I can do all but 1 with no ice. You'd have to be crazy to try that other one. IT's practicly a 90 degree vertical.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Greg, Are they using the old axle shaft or a new one?
I would have the seals replaced as well seeing they may be damaged from the weight of the Jeep pushing down on the axle shaft and other guts inside.
Glad to hear you recieved some resolve to this issue.
Mine is still up in the air.
Keep us updated on JRU!!
Stukboy
Old 03-06-2008, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gergy9
They are splitting the cost with me 50/50. So they are putting a new left axle in a new housing with all the old guts. I can't wait to get her back!

Guess it is too late now!! But what is your out of pocket cost at the 50%?????

If it is more than $700 ....I would complain they could have put a whole brand new Mopar Performance Dana 44 and only cost you $700 and they did not have to reuse your old guts....

Just my thinking on the subject !!!
Old 03-06-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree. Depending on what they cost, you can bolt a new front assembly in for alot less than dealer labor fees.

Also, I cannot see anything there (the rock) that would snap the housing either.

I hate hearing this and can only wish you the best.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry this happened to you!! If I were in your situation I would look into having that welded. I have a welding shop at my house and I would weld that if it were mine. There looks to be a lot of room around the brake for fish plates. I know some people freak when welding front end parts comes up that's why I said I would do it if it were mine. I wouldn't do it for someone else for liability reasons. Good luck to you and I hope you can get that fixed.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stukboy
Greg, Are they using the old axle shaft or a new one?
I would have the seals replaced as well seeing they may be damaged from the weight of the Jeep pushing down on the axle shaft and other guts inside.
Glad to hear you recieved some resolve to this issue.
Mine is still up in the air.
Keep us updated on JRU!!
Stukboy
Yes, New axle shaft on the broken side and new seals.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow... just saw this thread and read through it. and i think the reason thinkmud (who ever it was that also broke theirs) got his fixed easily is because there was no marks or anything on his axle.

yours resembles a wooden baseball bat that took a beating againts rocks. no offense, its just an indication that you've been having fun!

but it does suck that they won't warrenty that. and i am curious as to how much that 50% set you back?

i've yet to hit my axle on anything *knock on wood* but i know my skids and control arms have taken some punishment. i am just worried about doing this as well and would probably have to sell my first born to pay for it.

are there any options out there to help re-enforce the axle? i'm already looking into getting a set of small skid plates fab'd up to re-enforce where the lower control arms bolt on, like they have for the TJ's.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by n4yci
Hi all long time reader new subscriber. I went out to my JK rubi and low and behold the powder coat/paint whatever on my front axle is flaked off in exactly the same spot where your tube snaped. Now let me just be very clear here. I have NOT done any hard core wheeling, not hit any rocks, not bashed the crap out of the tube. Maybe this is just where some stick hit the axle tube but ill be darned if it does not look like it is flexing there and cracked the paint off...almost all the way around.

Lin

I dont know if it will show up on photos but i will try and snap some later today. Maybe some of yall should go look at yours too.
can't wait for these.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just checked mine out and it would appear to look like N4yci's picture #1.
I only have 3,900 miles on my June 2007 build Rubi so maybe it will show more later on with more miles. I wonder if we could track these down to a certain lot number on the axles I know my sticker is still on the tube. I will write down the numbers if anyone wants them.

To everyone with broken JK Dana 44 axles. What year Jeep? and do you still have access to get the lot number off the tube?

Maybe we can do DC's job and figure out that there is a bad batch of axles floating around.

Last edited by Matto; 03-07-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Axle Housing Snapped!